Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,922   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

TRI-X (135) at EI 800

Hello All,

I recently shot some rolls of 35mm Tri-X, rated at EI800. May I get some of your recommendations for a developer that would work well at that speed, or what your preferred developer might be, for that matter?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When we had to do that (decades ago) we would soup the Tri-X in Acufine or UFG.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot trix at 800-1600 and use diafine. It works fine. I just shot two rolls of our church's play at 1600 and the negs came out pretty good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There are many. D-76 can push to that speed, HC-110 can do it too, and Acufine has been a long standing developer to push process. There are more.

Best to test many to learn which work with your tastes.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all.

Regarding D-76, have any of you ever used it diluted more than 1:1 (eg. 1:2, 1:3). I've read that there's an apparent "gain" in sharpness. Is this the case, or is diluted D-76 just diluted D-76? There's nothing listed beyond 1:1 on the Massive Development Chart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    800 isn't really much of a push for Tri-X, and I think lots of options would work well. Some people rate Tri-X at 800 in Diafine, though I think most would put it slightly higher than that. I've had good luck with modest pushes of Tri-X in PC-TEA, using the times given for Xtol 1+2 in the MDC and Anchell & Troop, and gotten negatives that don't have a dramatic "This Film Was Pushed!" look; I assume Xtol itself would give similar results, but can't speak to it from experience...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Nathan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the standard b/w developers should do it just fine. How far you need to push it will depend on the contrast you want. I am fond of this film with D-76 or HC-110. I would just use D-76 1:1 in this case; especially if you already have it on hand.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    D-76, 1:1, 15% additional developing time to start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Diafine hands down - grain is pretty much the same as shot at box speed. Pushing in D76 and xtol has always rendered very high contrast and grainy results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin