Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,931   Posts: 1,522,187   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Red led christmas lights do the trick for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a big fan of LEDs, because they have such a narrow output spectrum. It isn't a case of outputting a bunch of wavelengths and hoping that the filter filters them out; with LEDs there literally is nothing below a certain wavelength emitted. I have one of these screwed onto an old CPU heatsink with an LM317 set up as a constant current source and a 12v ac adapter. I can run 700 ma through it but with even 100ma it is quite brite in my darkroom with just one. I've heard of people using LED taillight bulbs from the automotive store, which run right off of 12v.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hmho View Post
    On the question about safelights, my question is to lith printers. What's the brightest safelight you'd recommend for lith printing inspection?
    I have been using my usual dim lighting setup, with a 'safe' flashlight. That way, I only am blasting the print with light for short periods of time near the snatch-point.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use one of these Safelight Torches - http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/safetorch.html

I keep my darkroom fairly dark (by choice) and then use the torch to look for stuff I've dropped :rolleyes: and watch prints come up.

Martin

MFP
    Shooter
    35mm
    The LED lights suggested by srs5694 sound good, and the red ones emit light at the 635 wavlength, which from ilford's data is very safe for VC papers Does anyone know how bright they are in comparison to a Thomas duplex with an OC filter/ how many LED bulbs would equal one thomas?
    Last edited by MFP; 05-04-2009 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: srs5694 suggested the LEDs I was referring to, not BetterSense

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFP View Post
    The LED lights suggested by Better Sense sound good, and the red ones emit light at the 635 wavlength, which from ilford's data is very safe for VC papers Does anyone know how bright they are in comparison to a Thomas duplex with an OC filter/ how many LED bulbs would equal one thomas?
    As I mentioned in my post (the last one on the previous page), my own red LED safelight is much brighter than the amber safelight it replaced. That was a Premier-brand safelight. IIRC, it had a 15W or 20W bulb behind a plastic filter. There'll be a lot of variability on both the traditional safelight and LED safelight product lines, depending on bulb wattage, non-LED light technology, LED technology, number of LEDs, etc., so remote direct comparisons may be difficult or impossible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFP View Post
    Hey Apug,

So I have had my darkroom set up for over a month now, and all of a sudden I have noticed fogging with my 11x14 prints. I though it could by something with the paper tray, so I tried to fix what problem there may be, still fogging. I have a feeling its the crappy, $3 painted bulb style safelights in my darkroom, and the fogging "shadows" from print tongs would agree(I talked to them). That's reason 1 of why I want to change out my safelights.

Reason two is: It's friggin' dark in here. My darkroom is a pretty big room, in the basement, wooden ceiling(unfinished bottom of the floor above), cement block walls. It has a bunch of random crap in it, including the furnace and water tank/softener/etc.(both light safe) So basically it has a bunch of nooks and crannies, and its the same room that when I was younger I wouldn't dare to enter alone. And now I'm making photographic prints in it, alone, under dim red light, and with the feeling that when I develop this next photo its going to be the face of satan like that scene from that movie("the negative", i think?). Oh joy. Oh and I use VC paper.

So the problems with my safelights are conflicting, but I need the brightest safelight or safelights that I can set up that won't fog my paper, and I have about 7-8 feet of head room if I should mount the safelight(s) from the ceiling. I have heard of the Thomas super Duplex(two of which light my slightly smaller school darkroom with orange-possibly OC filters, but they have weird standards there), and 10x12" ones with the bulb inside an enclosure that are also hang-able. Also, are OC or 1A (or other) safelights better for my situation?

Sorry for my long as a train explanation,
    MFP
    A couple of suggestions:

1) Paint as much of you can of the darkroom area a light grey, the light bouncing off the walls will make it brighter without adding more light.

2) Get one of those cable curtain rods, hang it across the room just outside the darkroom area. Hang an old bed sheet or two over the rod, when you want to use the darkroom you close the curtains, the white or nearly white sheet(s) will also bounce light back into the darkroom. When your not using the darkroom, you can slide the sheet(s) to the side and have a big open space for others to use. You can sew a pocket into one side to go over the rod.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm another fan of LED safelights. I have a few extra that I could sell you (I have a classified ad up if you are interested). I have had zero fogging with extended lith development. I try to use the safelight recommended on the paper so I have both a red and an amber. Honestly, I think the amber is probably safe for all papers due to the LEDs very specific wavelength, but I have not tested it. My walls are all painted white with a white ceiling except I've painted the area around the enlargers flat black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use two safelights set at about 41/2 ft above my work surface. One is a 5x7 ilford 902 amber with a 15 watt bulb and the other is a durst amber led arrangement above the wet bench. The Durst has a dimmer and I don't have it at full strength. For papers that need a red light I use two 10x8 lights (with 15 watt bulbs) one above the enlarger and one above the wet bench. They are considerably dimmer than the amber lights. My entire darkroom is painted white except the wall and ceiling around the enlarger. They are painted matt black. My darkroom is 10x10x7. I dont have any fogging issues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look at this page:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu.../k4Facts.shtml

The introduction part is fairly elementary... Scroll down the bottom and look at "recommendations"

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin