Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,695   Online: 1171

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using paper to obtain grain

Hello,

Are there certain papers and processes that can be used to increase the visible grain on a print? I have some negs that are not grainy at all, but I want them to be.

Overexposure followed by very slow development in a highly diluted developer is one idea I had. It works with lith printing, but I don't want any color changes, and I want to be able to easily make near-identical copies. When I want to enhance the grain on a piece of film, this is one thing I do. However, I am not sure if the effects will be noticeable on paper, on which the grain is not enlarged as it is with film.

Are there any papers out there that are particularly coarsely grained? I am assuming, like with film, that the faster a paper is, the more potential it will have for me.

Howzabout a modified developer formula; for instance, D-72 without any sulfite?

Thank you.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The grain in paper is just too fine to be visible, even using a developer that might enhance it won't make it more prominent. You're out of luck the best option is make a grain screen using a fast film and snadwich the two negative together emulsion to emulsion in the enlarger.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    A lith print would accentuate the grain of the paper, would'nt it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used one layer of glassene negative sleeve sandwiched with the negative. Not exactly grain but a nice texture.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin