Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,758   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This post is a good example of why darkroom chemicals should always be clearly labelled and stored away from food. Where I work, if I made a habit of storing chemicals near food, or leaving wrongly labelled containers lying around, my lab would get shut down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Reminds me of a guy I once worked with who took a big swig out of an unmarked bottle that contained trichloroethane. He was very ill.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few years ago I was helping a friend rennovate his house. His father was also helping out using a potassium permanganate solution as a wood stain. He had this solution in exactly the same style of glass as the similar coloured red wine which he was drinking whilst working.

He didn't get them mixed up but we're not sure how he distinguished between them!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's my guess that you're both now archival. You're guaranteed to get a telegram from the Queen...

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They use sodium sulfite to preserve the color of the raw veggies on buffet tables--or at least they did at one time.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    It's my guess that you're both now archival.
    Aha, but for real permanence you still need to stand there with a hosepipe in the mouth for ten minutes surely ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always shudder when people on APUG mention that they are storing chemicals in recycled beverage containers, because situations like this are just waiting to happen.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I always shudder when people on APUG mention that they are storing chemicals in recycled beverage containers, because situations like this are just waiting to happen.
    Not if they are properly marked, would be a good general marking on both sides of a bottle.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson View Post
    Sodium sulphite is added to wine, which causes allergic reactions in some people. If you haven't had one, you're probably fine. The silver in used fixer is a more serious concern, but if it was just traces, that's probably OK too.
    One of my friends is a wine maker who complained to me one day about having to identify sodium sulfite as an ingredient simply because the wine bottles are sterilized by sulfur dioxide from a sulfur candle.

Once upon a time there was a chemical plant near Morgantown, WV. All water puddles were sulfurous acid baths and all cars sooner or later had lace fenders. This was probably the stimulus for undercoating, which was originally applied after purchase. I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember that without being too old to remember it.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    One of my friends is a wine maker who complained to me one day about having to identify sodium sulfite as an ingredient simply because the wine bottles are sterilized by sulfur dioxide from a sulfur candle.

Once upon a time there was a chemical plant near Morgantown, WV. All water puddles were sulfurous acid baths and all cars sooner or later had lace fenders. This was probably the stimulus for undercoating, which was originally applied after purchase. I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember that without being too old to remember it.
    I always though that undercoating came about due to the need of governments to use Sodium Chloride as a chemical snow remover in more Northern climates combined with the ability of cars in the 1970's to essentially rust out before your very eyes. IIRC Fords and early Hondas were the worst for this.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin