Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,217   Online: 975

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Morning cuppa ...... SODIUM SULPHITE !

This morning my friend made us a cup of tea in bed. After a couple of mouthfulls each, we both agreed the water tasted a bit strange .... kind of like a 'nasty sweetness'. Turned out that she'd filled the kettle from a jug of what she thought was water but was in fact a solution of diluted Kodak Hypo Clear I'd left on the table from last nights printing session :o !! Being a used solution it would have also contained traces of fixer too ! It was added to fresh water already in the kettle so this would have diluted it down even further. The warnings on the packet didn't seem too severe and it just said to drink plenty of water.
    I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later and I'm the first to admit I'm not the most safety conscious person when it comes to working with chemicals and also because I don't have washing facilities in my darkroom, the kitchen sink area always comes into play.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar mishaps with chemicals or other darkroom ingredients ? Also, wouldn't it be a good idea if manufacturers could give some kind of 'Inert Colouring' to the solutions we use for processing in order to easily identify what's what ? Indicator stop bath has similar to this so why not other chemicals ? I know the correct advice is to label everything clearly but sometimes it's easy to slip up and get confused when looking at clear solutions in clear measuring devices scattered about on the work surface.

Anyway, I'm writng this many hours later and don't appear to be experiencing any ill effects or behaving any stranger than normal !! Could've been alot worse .... selenium toner 1:3 perhaps !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The traces of fixer will surely keep anything from developing.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

And when these letters start to dance around before your eyes that means it's time for another round.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    ... Also, wouldn't it be a good idea if manufacturers could give some kind of 'Inert Colouring' to the solutions we use for processing in order to easily identify what's what?...
    The basic law of evolution...Making something idiot-proof just tempts nature to create a better idiot...

Vaughn

PS...what colour do you have in mind? Any colour you can think of already exists as some sort of fruit juice/Kool-aid/etc...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    "The fault, my dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but ourselves." Step up your game, label all bottles, have correct storage facilities, use them and follow correct safety proceedures.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have an erection lasting longer than four hours, seek medical (or some other form of) attention.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    Also, wouldn't it be a good idea if manufacturers could give some kind of 'Inert Colouring' to the solutions we use for processing in order to easily identify what's what ?
    Maybe it's time for the lecture about proper labelling of chemical containers?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sodium sulphite is added to wine, which causes allergic reactions in some people. If you haven't had one, you're probably fine. The silver in used fixer is a more serious concern, but if it was just traces, that's probably OK too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for a reassuring answer !

Should have put this in the joke thread.

Looking forward to the erection problems somebody mentioned

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yea, if you read all the ingredient labels on food you will find sulfite listed frequently. At least it was fat free!!..Evan Clarke

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin