Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,003   Online: 1007
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,560

    I forgot developer mixing order...

    What are the general rules when mixing up formulas?

    I know somethings have to go in at a certain time but I forgot what goes when and the never befores.
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-05-2009 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #2
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    Ray, use the order in the printed formula for best results. Kodak gives them in their respective addition order in all cases.

    Some people prefer to put a pinch of Sulfite into the developer before adding the Metol (or HQ or both).

    PE

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    877
    ingredient #1 is H2O.....after that you are on your own. Sorry Ray, I just couldn't help myself :-)
    John Bowen

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,560
    I want to carry a special developer into the field, in powder form;
    I figure I can't get by just mixing EVERYTHING together...
    but I thought some good neighbor combinations might be permissible.

    IIRC, some known problems are, uh, well known.

    Something affects the solubility of something else....

    OK, Well - I may have to pre-pkg. ea. component seperately,
    but I was looking for a get out of jail card.


    Ray
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ray, use the order in the printed formula for best results. Kodak gives them in their respective addition order in all cases.

    Some people prefer to put a pinch of Sulfite into the developer before adding the Metol (or HQ or both).

    PE

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    ingredient #1 is H2O.....after that you are on your own. Sorry Ray, I just couldn't help myself :-)
    It's OK.
    At least you didn't say something like:
    "7:33 is a very good time to mix YOUR developers."

  6. #6
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    Ray;

    You didn't say what exactly you wanted to do.

    Package the developing agents in one small packet and everything else in another packet. When ready to go, add the alkali and then the developer packets to very warm water, about 40 deg C. This will work with most developers.

    PE

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I want to carry a special developer into the field,
    in powder form; ... Ray
    My guess, the developer will be mixed directly to
    working strength. At that dilution all together may
    dissolve easily enough. Test before field use. The
    less to be dissolved the better your chances. Dan

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,560
    Interesting.
    Actually, I will prepare a stock, the working solution is however quite dilute... much more than a typical developer... infact, to mix working strength, I think I would need to be able to weigh out sub mg quantities...

    This I cannot do.

    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    My guess, the developer will be mixed directly to
    working strength. At that dilution all together may
    dissolve easily enough. Test before field use. The
    less to be dissolved the better your chances. Dan



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin