Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,552   Online: 816

Thread: Bromoil bleach

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bromoil bleach

I wolud like to try the bromoil process. I have used a lot of toner-kits (sepia) That is also bleached in stage one. Can i use the same bleach for bromoil? Can i use Ferrocyanid? Im living in Norway and cant find any place to buy raw-chemicals. Any ideas of where to buy raw chemicals who actually can be shipped to Norway? And what is recomended for Bromoil bleach?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    I wolud like to try the bromoil process. I have used a lot of toner-kits (sepia) That is also bleached in stage one. Can i use the same bleach for bromoil? Can i use Ferrocyanid? Im living in Norway and cant find any place to buy raw-chemicals. Any ideas of where to buy raw chemicals who actually can be shipped to Norway? And what is recomended for Bromoil bleach?
    A bromoil bleach consists of Coppersulphate and Potassium bromide. Should be easily available at the pharmacy.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My recipe for bromoil bleach: 70 mls of 10% copper sulphate. 70 mls of 10% pot bromide. 30 mls 1% pot dichromate. Distilled water to make I liter. Constant agitation for 8 minutes. This mixture will bleach/tan about ten 8x10 matrices.

Good luck!

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I should mention that it will take a lot more than the proper bleach mixture to produce bromoil prints. Paper that is "bromoil-friendly." Over exposure of the matrix. Stiff litho inks. Brushes. A lot of patience and practice! Etc., etc. etc. You'll also need to do a bit of research and study first.

Cheers,

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes i know I will use Foma MG paper for the first tests. But i am really unsure if my local pharmacia have the bleach chemicals. Ferrocyanid i easy to buy in sepa toner kits and Farmers Reducers from Kodak. Thats why i asked if it could be used. Its of course easy to do a test an see if it works. Reason i asked is that the print is also bleached down before i put it in the sepia toner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Yes i know I will use Foma MG paper for the first tests. But i am really unsure if my local pharmacia have the bleach chemicals. Ferrocyanid i easy to buy in sepa toner kits and Farmers Reducers from Kodak. Thats why i asked if it could be used. Its of course easy to do a test an see if it works. Reason i asked is that the print is also bleached down before i put it in the sepia toner.
    To save you the time testing, ferri won't work as a bromoil bleach. Use the formula I posted.

Good luck!

Gene

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Trust Gene´s statement. And if you find no source for the chemicals in Norway, let me know.
    The whole process is not easy, don´t know if Foma works or not. Fomabrom might work, because it´s not strongly hardened.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin