Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,728   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with printing an uneven negative

Hi I made the worst mistake I could have made. I was trying to be cheap and I did not fill my developing tank all of the way up. I think I did not have enough chemical and I was using a large tank with multiple 120 reels in it, so the reel at the top did not get even contact with the developer. As a result the top quarter of that roll of film, I believe was underdeveloped?. I love that roll though, it was of my niece and she just spontaneously started being cute when she was sitting on the dinner table, she is a year or two older now so I would really like to be able to find a way to print these negatives.

I have tried on my own exposing the image, covering the normal or nicely developed side then overexposing the problematic side. The print still comes out looking like two different exposures. Do any of you have suggestions? Can I make a decent print from these negatives?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olivia-dev problem.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sorry... D!g!t@l is the only way for something like this. And even then, might not be possible for mere mortals.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I am sorry. But I think you're gonna have a hard time burning the underdeveloped portion with out a visible density change on the print. Just kep playing with.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taking your negative image into PS, inverting it and applying auto-levels results in an acceptable photograph. Just try making a straight print and see what happens.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crop it. The center of attention is clearly the child. The rest of the frame may not be necessary.

I apologize for the robbery, but I 'stole' your image, cropped it, inverted it, and adjusted the levels to make a lovely image.
    If you crop it, it will print just fine!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am surprised that some of my colleagues are throwing in the towel so easily

Nicholas is probably right, it may be fine even as is. I'd make myself a simple dodge tool (=rough cut paper straight edge) and keep it moving about that boundary. Looks like one portion needs ~0.5-1 stops or so more exposure than the rest. That's definitely doable. You're very lucky that the line is so straight and well defined, it'll be easy to work with.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. Do you have a grad filter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    P.S. Do you have a grad filter?
    What type of filters? I have a filter pack that I haven't used, that goes with my Beseler 23C, and I have a dichroic head and a 2nd Beseler 23C that I plan on setting up this week. Is there a certain filter that I should use? The filters in my pack I believe have numbers on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    graduated neutral density filter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_ND_filter

You could deploy a hard GND strategically under your enlarger lens....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I dunno...looks like it was developed evenly, but not fixed evenly -- have you tried re-fixing the neg?

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin