Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,832   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does anyone know how I reversed HP5 from a negative to a positive?

Well,
    I am interested in anyone that understands just what I accidentally did to one negative. I am shooting with my Holga with about a 10 count exposure. I then process the negs in HC110 1-31 dilution. That leaves very black (bullet proof negs). I then put them in a Farmer's reducer from the darkroom cookbook, tray bleaching back and boom, the image appears. Now the bleach is not really agitated this gives the unique ebbs and flows you see in these images. Ok, now sometimes the image becomes very thin and on one image (Santa on a Harley) it seemed too thin for my taste. I decided to intensify the negative and put it in a intensifier. Well, I must not have looked at it closely when I scanned the neg, because the film scanner was set to positive, hence the image I posted in my photos. Today I went to print and was surprised to see a beautiful 9"X9" negative on my paper.
    I know enough about transparency film to know there is silver there, but did I do something that is normal, or have I made a freakish HP5 positive. I know there are folks out there that understand the process and how I managed this one.
    I will wait for my scolding and answers.

Michel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Solarization can cause a reversal of density values in a neg under extreme circumstances. However I doubt ten seconds wasd enough to do that.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 05-06-2009 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What intensifier are you using? I don't see the image you posted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,
    I have attached the positve scan of the image in question. I know was a postive when I made the print yesterday it was a negative. I checked my film scanner and it was set to postive, so, well..... Now to the intensifier, I used Monckhoven's formula #179 in the old edition of the Darkroom Cookbook. I intensified only this one negative, so I did not expect the reversal.
    Hope that can help answer the question.

Michel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails santa_on_a_harley.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just scanned the print I made from the image in question you can see that it is a negative image, I am interested in folks thoughts. It should not have solarized.

Michel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails santa_small.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have the book handy. Searching online for Monckhoven's intensifier yields a formula that contains mercury and cyanide, which I trust you didn't use. Can you post the formula?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First please everyone know that I am working at my University's darkroom. Great ventilation, superb chemical storage and very good environmental standards. I also have ther correct gloves, and respirator to play with this kind of stuff.
    That said the formula:
    15.0 grams sodium cyanide 500 ml water. dissolve that and then mix with 22.5 grams of silver nitrate crystals and 500ml of water. This creates a milky solution. That must sit and then I used a filter to make the final bath. I then put my film in it.
    So far all to whom I have spoken do not know how I did it. So i am going to try and replicate the process and see if it happens again.

Michel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The sources I see cite Monckhoven's formula as starting with mercuric chloride bleach. Did you omit that step? In either case, I'm not sure anyone here has much of a clue as to why you got a reversal - you're possibly the first person in decades to try Monckhoven! Would be pretty cool if it was a repeatable way to get reversal of tones, but the cyanide would be a big stumbling block.

Agfa 600 is a safer single-bath alternative:

Add to 500 ml water:
    citric acid 1.5g
    hydroquinone 1.5g
    silver nitrate 2.5g

10 min is about a 2-grade increase
    Last edited by psvensson; 05-07-2009 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you stop and fix your negatives after the first development step? Or did you skip this step completely?
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Farmer's reducer contains fix, AFAIK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin