Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,172   Online: 783

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Are bags inside of Photo Paper boxes completely light tight?

Well the question is simple. For instance if photo paper was stored in one of these "black bags" that come with photo paper only.. would the paper be ok? If this helps the paper in question is Ilford.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

As a short-term-emergency-stop-gap-no-other-option-wrapped-up-tight-and-never-exposed-to-room-light method of storage? Sure. But light can leak in through corners not sealed COMPLETELY. And if the bag were to tear slightly, thus avoiding detection? I wouldn't risk it myself for normal storage.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 05-06-2009 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And what if the bag itself (with paper) was exposed to room light for an extremely brief period? Ie. 3 seconds. The paper is somewhat new so I doubt the bag is ripped.

I've heard of the bags being light tight, hence my confusion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    And what if the bag itself (with paper) was exposed to room light for an extremely brief period? Ie. 3 seconds. The paper is somewhat new so I doubt the bag is ripped.
    Probably not. We have all made that mistake for longer periods of time.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So... probably not what? Your saying the paper is probably not ruined?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

it sounds like you have paper that has been stored this way for some time. I would take a sheet from the top and from the bottom. Put it straight in the developer and process it. If yo have dark spots/edges then there has been some exposure. If not, you're good to go.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Chris but,no, the paper was only exposed for a number of seconds (a short number). I don't have access to the paper at the moment so, I was just wondering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find bags that have been re-used several times will develop holes in the corners where they are folded and unfolded.

I have some large rolls of paper that I am cutting up, but am limited by the bags and boxes available, so I have been picking these things up where I can find them. Now, don't pee your pants laughing, but I test the bag for light-tightness and pinholes by putting it over my head and looking for leaks. In absence of pinholes at the corners, I would say the material is light-tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the laugh Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock Dektol View Post
    ...The paper is somewhat new so I doubt the bag is ripped...

I wouldn't assume that. I had a new 25-pack of paper that I opened up in the light to get the spec-sheet. When I got into the darkroom to do some printing, I found that every sheet had fogging on one corner. I looked at the bag closely and sure enough there was a small hole. It can happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin