Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,546   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    No, only the filter factor (16). It isn't visually opaque, it's a very deep red, maybe like a red 29. My camera can meter through it.
    That's curious.
    Ilford groups it in the group after "deep red" that includes K's 89b.

Anyway, wish someone had the data on it...

Does anyone know what it's true ISO speed is?
    (Ilford admits 200 is an EI & not an ISO speed...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like you I have just started with this film, and will shoot more as my first roll was better than I imagined. I used a red filter (25) and hand metered using EI40. I'm going to try EI25 this next time. I developed in HC-110h for 18 minutes, 30 seconds intitial agitation and the 3 inversions per minute. I got this time from the box (I think), and it is probably a little long but not much.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I have shot it 2 ways, with R72 filter, metered without the filter at camera set to ISO 12. With red 25 filter, and auto exposure.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, I have shot it with the Hoya R72 filter, handheld meter EI 6. Developed in XTOL 1:1 @20C for 14:00.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is also worth shooting without a filter, at box speed.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used this film with Ilford's recommended SFX filter. I'm no expert on IR filters, but the SFX filter looks pretty much opaque to me, or at least very, very dark red. Compose and meter without the filter (+4 stops). I got excellent results in D76 1+1 for 11 mins. I posted a couple of examples in the gallery a while ago. When used with the SFX filter, there is a sort of 'white leaf' effect though not as prominent as a true IR emulsion. It gives jet black skies and clouds are beautifully delineated.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is also worth shooting without a filter, at box speed.

Matt
    I would say the same, based on the spectral sensitivity graph! I am going to have to shoot some soon!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Using the SFX dark filter is a pain when using a SLR, as once it is on, you won't see squat through the viewfinder, so handholding can be interesting. My way round that was to sight over the top of the camera, which worked fairly well using a 50mm lens on landscape shots, or use a tripod, frame the shot , then on with the filter and shoot

If you are using a rangefinder, or a TLR, you won't notice any difference to normal shooting.

SFX without the filter looks similar to FP4 / HP5, but things like whitewashed buildings on a sunny day will look brighter than normal
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, I have shot it 2 ways, with R72 filter, metered without the filter at camera set to ISO 12. With red 25 filter, and auto exposure.

Jon
    So first method...
    you set the TTL meter to 12
    (for 4 stops more light than the EI 200 calls for)
    and use that exposure data,
    but only after placing the filter in place.

Right?

What is the second method?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    So first method...
    you set the TTL meter to 12
    (for 4 stops more light than the EI 200 calls for)
    and use that exposure data,
    but only after placing the filter in place.

Right?

What is the second method?
    First method: meter and set the exposure manually, then mount the R72 filter

Second method: actually, I misrembered. I think I took a reading without the filter and then just took off 1.5 stops to compensate for the red 25. Didn't use autoexposure through filter.

Jon

these attachments are taken with the red 25, the fence is actually just weathered wood, without paint on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fence.jpg   cuffeyscove.jpg   road.jpg  
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 05-07-2009 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin