Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,790   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How to get large grains in my negs?

Hello,

I am trying to get larger and coarser grains in my negs format 120 but my actual mix isn't really producing big grains ! I m using mostly 320TXP in HC110 dil H tps dil B x1.5.

I m going to try underexposing my neg and overdeveloping in HC110 dil B, but maybe you have some tips or recommendations?

Vincent

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try developing your film in paper developer.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    you're not likely to get coarse-grained with HC 110 regardless of the dilution.
    you might try Dektol or other print developers.
    There are several other techniques to try, but this will give you a start.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get thee some Delta 3200 and soup it in Rodinal, then ye shall find the grain ye seeks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Justin have you some examples maybe ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tri-x, Rodinal 1:50, high temp (75F) for around 15 mins.

Here's a (very) grainy 35mm shot I took a few days ago with my Holga (adapted for 35mm):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/...424a4596_o.jpg

Not the greatest shot -- I know. But I was experiementing with Rodinal in my Jobo processor and was pleased with the grain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    C41 colour material with a B&W developer will give grain the size of buckshot, but will be "Interesting" to print with the orange mask and relatively low Dmax.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi vincent

you might process overexposed film in a coffee based developer,
    and mix a little straight paper developer in your brew.
    let stand (no agitation ) for 20mins or so, ... or longer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentM View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to get larger and coarser grains in my negs format 120 but my actual mix isn't really producing big grains ! I m using mostly 320TXP in HC110 dil H tps dil B x1.5.

I m going to try underexposing my neg and overdeveloping in HC110 dil B, but maybe you have some tips or recommendations?

Vincent
    Compose inside an area equivalent to the ca. 24 x 36 mm of a 35mm neg; then crop the negative to that when you print.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would rate your Tri-X at 25 or 50, develop as normal and see what happens.

If that is not enough, try doing the same thing, doubling the dilution of your developer, and doubling your developing time.

If still not enough, take either one, or both of these ideas to even farther extremes. For instance, try exposing at 6 or 12 and/or quadrupling the dilution of your developer and quadrupling your development time.

If still not enough, try Delta or T-Max 3200 with the same techniques. Note that the grain on these is sharper and more neatly patterned, so it will look different.

You can most certainly get coarse grain from HC-110, or any other developer. Exposure and developing time will be the most important contributors. However, if still not enough, try Rodinal using the same technique of heavy dilution and long times...or use Dektol or D-19 if you want to highly compress your highlights.

I'd also invest in some potassium ferricyanide to make some bleach. ...and some VC paper.

There is also the martini or hot developer approach, but IMO these are harder to control.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-07-2009 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin