Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,750   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone out there shoot 127?

I'm wondering if there are any 127 ("small format") shooters out there. The other day I was perusing one of my favorite haunts when I came across a Yashica 44 for around $80. It looked to be in very nice condition and even had a spool in it.

It seems a shame to have such a nice camera just sitting there (plus I love TLRs as the name states) so I've been looking at my options. I found a tank & reel (Paterson?) that fits 35mm, 127 and 120 so developing at home seems to be okay.This website (in Japanese w/photos) details cutting 120 down to size, or even using 35mm (specially altered.)

Anyone else out there done this, or do they just buy the film already done?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just buy the film at the moment, as a) its available, and b) I don't have to mess about slitting and remarking.

As I live in the UK, the two that are available with the least effort are the Efke R100 B&W, and Maco branded C41.

In the US, if you go to Frugalphotographer, you can pick up the Bluefire C41 material. I don't use this as shipping costs make it a little uneconomic.

If of course you want to use a specific manufacturers emulsion, or E6 materials, you are going to need to slit and respool
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that David William White respools 35mm onto 127 spools, as he has a gaggle of neat shots I have seen of his taken with image extending thorigh the sprocket area.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've just purchased a Yashica 44, only because I bought some 127 film that I thought (via the ePay photo) was 620. So now I have to buy a new tank and reel. Onward and upward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think that my Jobo reel will handle 127, but it would be nice to be able to use 127 to make super-slides—they blow 35mm slides out of the water when projected. But is there any slide emulsion left in 127, and are the super-slide mounts still available?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I don't think that my Jobo reel will handle 127, but it would be nice to be able to use 127 to make super-slides—they blow 35mm slides out of the water when projected. But is there any slide emulsion left in 127, and are the super-slide mounts still available?
    Speedgraphic in the UK has Gepe superslides available for £12.30 for 20.
    B&H stock them in the US Here

And of course Frugal photographer
    Last edited by Aurum; 05-08-2009 at 11:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: extra link
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks very much. Maybe somebody somewhere in the world cuts down 120 slide film to 127? Or I might be a lot better off just shooting 120 and figuring out where the edges of a super-slide image would fall.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I've just purchased a Yashica 44, only because I bought some 127 film that I thought (via the ePay photo) was 620. So now I have to buy a new tank and reel. Onward and upward.
    I'm pretty sure that the standard Patterson-type plastic reels, the ones which are adjustable for 35mm and 120, will also take 127 film on the "middle" expansion notch. If you use that type of developing tank system then you can save yourself some money on buying a new setup.

On another note, I like your style! By some film, then you HAVE to get a camera that fits it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the standard Patterson-type plastic reels, the ones which are adjustable for 35mm and 120, will also take 127 film on the "middle" expansion notch. If you use that type of developing tank system then you can save yourself some money on buying a new setup.

On another note, I like your style! By some film, then you HAVE to get a camera that fits it!
    I'm not that bad, but the availability of the Efke material just gave me an excuse shall we say

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have thought about trying it as I have my great grandmothers 127 Ektachromes....B&H Sells Portra slit to 127
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin