Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,681   Online: 859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

4x5: Notches always on the lower right side?

Just want to make sure before I open my first pack in a changing bag.
    I seem to remember one person writing that there was one sheet film that was not.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about exceptions, but you're looking at the emulsion side if you hold the film so that the long side of the sheet is on top and bottom, and the short side of the film is on right and left. Under that circumstance the notches will be on the right hand side, in the lower corner, (on the short vertical side).

If you hold the film 90 degrees clock-wise rotated from that, with the long dimension on the sides, and the short dimensions on top and bottom, that same notch would be in the lower left hand corner, (still on the short side of course, but now horizontal).

It depends on how you're holding the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thomas, thank you, but I remember one review on B&H saying the film was great execpt the notches don't follow the norm etc...
    I'll be using Delta 100 as my first.

I'm guessing that in the changing bag, I open the box, then the second box, open the "bag" and take out the film and load.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Generally it is notches upper right and you're looking at the emusion side. That goes face up in the holder. Check your film's literature to be sure.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chris, you mean LOWER right, correct? Positioned Landscape.
    I won't be looking at any side, I'll be doing this in the changing bag, hence the inquiry.
    Thankyou.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, I'm no expert but this guy says he is. Very well illustrated too. It is recommended that you sacrifice one sheet and exercise in daylight until you get used to the scheme.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you much Mihai. That's exactly what I've been doing. I'll go to the link now.
    Thx again.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    Tom, I'm no expert but this guy says he is. Very well illustrated too. It is recommended that you sacrifice one sheet and exercise in daylight until you get used to the scheme.
    Having just blown through my very first box, I would concur Paul Butzi's words & pictures are spot on. You do need to make sure the film goes in the bottom slots and not the dark-slide grooves.

One more tip - Get yourself a sheet or three of little sticky labels and a fine tipped fibre pen. Once you have exposed the sheet, write down the f-stop & shutter speed on a label and stick it on the holder. That way, even if you forget to turn the dark slide round, you now which sheet has been used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you paul. A good site indeed. I've been practicing with a piece of film so I'm ok. I wondering because I saw a review that one film was not the same as far as notches. He may have been wrong. I simply went to Ilford's page and got the spec/picture.

I have written down numbers on my holders, middle tab of the holder, i.e., 1 and then other side 2, then next holder 3 etc.... I'll keep a note book then to relate.
    Thanks again guys.
    T

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I see what you're saying. You're right. As long as the notches are clockwise from the straight edge on the same side.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin