Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,804   Online: 801

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    White bottle?
    Mark
    Yes, Agfa stopped using glass bottles maybe 25 years ago; the original circular bottles were replaced with a disastrous square glass bottle that shattered very easily, and was quickly phased out and replaced with a similar sized square bottle in white plastic. I believe it was some sort of composite material that was highly impermeable and kept the developer very well. It was probably too expensive and was replaced with the clear translucent bottles maybe 15? years ago. So if the developer is in a white bottle it's probably older than you think. And is probably why it's lasting so well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just so you all know, it worked like a charm even though it doesn't look like it should.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm just wondering Robert, is the difference between the two pictures due to the difference in developer or does it come from something else (scanning in particular)? The reason I ask is because I have always understood that Rodinal doesn't degrade at all in such a short (4 years) span. Your pictures seem to show a small but significant difference though.

If there is any significant degradation, would it be possible to state a practical best-before-date for Rodinal? Maybe I'm being over-scrutinous here, but I'm just curious after your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Sander.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just wondering Robert, is the difference between the two pictures due to the difference in developer or does it come from something else (scanning in particular)?
    Sander: It's the same film divided in two parts developed by the TAS film processor for the exact same times and agitation. So after 4 years there is a small difference in density Rodinal new and Rodinal 4 y.o. There has been no manipulation in the scanner settings.

Agfa gives a time period of 6 months (after opening) for the lifespan of Rodinal.
    I have no idea if the activity of Rodinal stays the same after several years but I can check it out to see if there is more difference from 4 y.o. to 8 y.o. or maybe it stays the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does any seperation take place when Rodinal sits for an extended period of time? Should you shake/stir before using "aged" Rodinal?
    Thanks
    JGB
    "Sure is fun playing Jimi Hendrix at Carnegie Hall"-SRV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After some years crystals are formed in the bottom of the bottle. You can shake your bottle before use but let the crystals sink to the bottom and NOT in your developing tank. The crystals are ok and part of the Rodinal Para-Amino Phenol formula.

The activity will be a very little bit less during some years but you can only see that if you compare with a brand new bottle of Rodinal and a densitometer. However remarkable Dutch forum visitors have seen it yet.
    It's about 0,06 log D.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    I have no idea if the activity of Rodinal stays the same after several years but I can check it out to see if there is more difference from 4 y.o. to 8 y.o. or maybe it stays the same.
    That would be interesting to know.
    I think about one year ago I used up the Rodinal left in a small container that had been lying around for about 6, 7 years. There was (relatively) a lot of air in the bottle and the Rodinal was sort of black. It worked fine though as far as I could tell.
    I never printed or scanned any of those pictures (I think) nor did I ever compare the film to one developed in fresher Rodinal. I have since been wondering if Rodinal has a best before date (practical in human terms that is). From your little test it does seem to decay a little, but not much at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just piling on, the test will tell.

But, everything I've read from Rodinal users, if it expired in 1901 or 1801, I wouldn't be afraid to at least test it.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin