Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,450   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal from 2001

Hey...

I have some Rodinal that was purchased on 2001 and it's grey in colour. Anyone know if this is still good? My instincts tell me no.

...Jordan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With other developers it'd be a concern -- but not with Rodinal. There are reports of people using 40-year-old bottles with no ill effects. My bottle dates from 2000 and is still going strong.

(from one Canadian guy named Jordan to another)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you just opened it I'm sure it's fine. If it's been half full or so for that long you might have some troulbe... A snip test is easy enough. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gray? I've seen it amber and brown, but not gray. Usually this stuff is forever, but I'd run a test roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Gray? I've seen it amber and brown, but not gray. Usually this stuff is forever, but I'd run a test roll.
    That's a good point I overlooked. In the few years I've been using it I've seen clearish amber/purple to dark brown but not gray. A quick test and there are no more questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll do the test. Now that I look harder, grey might not be as correct as grey-ish brown (the bottle is white and threw me off). I'll run a test, I just thought there might be a "no way don't even bother trying" somewhere from someone who has done the same. Even then, it's always best to test and be certain. Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a 500ml bottle of Rodinal from 1977, about a quarter full. This was when it came in a glass bottle with graduations on the side. I tested it in 1997 at the 20 year mark, and it compared very favourably with fresh Rodinal, even though it's as black as creosote. Maybe a tad less activity. I'm saving it to try again in 2017. I'm sure it's going to outlive me.

Shooter
    Multi Format

New Rodinal and Rollei Retro 100 / APX 100.

4 years old Rodinal and the same Rollei Retro 100 / APX 100.

This year it's 7 years old. I will wait and do the 10 y.o. test.
    Maybe it's a good idea to save one film as well due to the fact the Retro/APX 100/400 films are running out of stock worldwide soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The color of Rodinal should go from light yellow (when it's brand new) , light brown, brown, dark brown to almost black.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    I'll do the test. Now that I look harder, grey might not be as correct as grey-ish brown (the bottle is white and threw me off). I'll run a test, I just thought there might be a "no way don't even bother trying" somewhere from someone who has done the same. Even then, it's always best to test and be certain. Thanks all.
    White bottle?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin