Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,094   Online: 1095

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Know. I Know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it C-41 film or traditional B&W, by the way?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi alpin,

I'll give it a try (before buying the whole lot if the seller agrees) and overexpose it a bit (1/3 of a stop or so). It's BW after all and should be fine. I would be much more cautious about color negs with the same profile...
    Good luck and please keep us informed about results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's unlikely to have suffered at all unless the warehouse was excessively hot in the summer, any changes will be slight and shouldn't require any changes in exposure & development. People shoot far older film than that with no ill effects.

In recent years all film manufacturers have printed far shorter expiry dates on film boxes than they used to, this has happened in all industries and has more to do with tightening quality controls for various ISO standards (not film speed) like 9001.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alapin View Post
    Good evening, Konical

Kodak B&W 400 24 exp., Maine is where it is now and $1.00 a roll. Not sure about air-condition.

Alapin
    What kind of B/W? If it is a chromogenic C-41 developed film it is far more sensitive than if it were a "real" black and white film.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple dollars worth of interesting never hurt anyone, worst case scenario.
    I bought 200ft of 7 years expired FP4+ recently, test it this week...
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jon Koss

Anscojohn

What kind of B/W? If it is a chromogenic C-41 developed film it is far more sensitive than if it were a "real" black and white film.

After talking with the seller it is C41.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alapin View Post
    Jon Koss

Anscojohn

After talking with the seller it is C41.
    Well, unless it were cold-stored it would not be my idea of a good buy. Besides, stick to "real" b/w film!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Anscojohn

I agree with you on the cold-storage and have not had much success with someone else processing C41 B&W film. I really don't want to get back into color developing again and having someone else doing it, defeats why I develop my own.

I have heard of people using b&w developer to process C41 color and possible b&w C41. Just don't know of anyone who has actuality done it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some people like Kodak's chromogenic B&W film; others don't. Certainly it's different from traditional B&W films.

As a point of comparison on cost, consider that you can get a 100-foot bulk roll of Arista.EDU Ultra 400 for $27.99. I'm not sure precisely how many 24-exposure rolls you'd get out of that, but the cost is likely to be in the same ballpark as what you've been offered.

Shooter
    35mm
    You normally can get 18 36 exposure rolls out of 100 ft of Film. so each roll takes 5.5feet. 36 exposures by itself takes up 4.5 feet. (8 frames in a foot) 24 takes 3 feet. overhead would therefore be 1 ft a roll (leader and trailer), so you would use up 4 feet for a 24 exposure roll. and so you should get about 25 of them out of 100 ft. YMMV
    I know that next time I bulk roll, I will aim for 35 exposures as my silly Canon camera insists on rewinding at frame 36 no mater how much more film is left. I used to try to load 38 or so to reduce the waste from leaders. Instead I get blank frames at the end of the roll.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin