Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,538   Online: 995

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Know. I Know.

Shooter
    35mm
    [I][I]srs5694

Some people like Kodak's chromogenic B&W film; others don't. Certainly it's different from traditional B&W films.

As a point of comparison on cost, consider that you can get a 100-foot bulk roll of Arista.EDU Ultra 400 for $27.99. I'm not sure precisely how many 24-exposure rolls you'd get out of that, but the cost is likely to be in the same ballpark as what you've been offered

You're right about it being different from traditional B&W films. If we were able to develop it ourselves, maybe, we would have better control that some of the labs (if you can call them that) that we use to do it.

I also agree with you on bulk loading ones own film. I shoot very little 24 exposure film in B&W and only when I am on vacation. I am used to loading for 6 (occasional), 8 and 12 exposure. I know that this may sound strange but it comes from being able to switch between color or B&W without having to worry if the roll is all used up.

I was hoping that these rolls would replace my need to load for 24 exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    cmacd123

I agree with on your calculations as mine are about the same as your. I only use 24 exposure rolls once or twice a year and only about a dozen rolls. I got used to 6, 8, and 12 exposure rolls when I was younger and shooting more. I like not worrying about having to shoot things to just finish up the roll.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just pull a stop. No big deal. Buy it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Slightly related data point - today I got around to developing two rolls of EFKE Kb14 and Kb17. that had been lying around, they had been in the freezer for part of the time but had been out in a drawer for quite a while also. Both were marked develop before 1986. both look printable with development in HC110 dilution B, and marked exposure. The Kb17 does have a bit of base fog. Both were shot in the last month to checkout cameras. (I figured that at this point they were "free" rolls for testing.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you're doing your own processing, this could be a "false economy". I don't shoot 35mm color, but I'd think the processing costs would exceed the cost of fresh B&W film, and home processing. What's the cost of getting a 24 exposure roll of C-41 processed these days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2006 is not terribly far out of date, especially if the film has been refrigerated. As long as the work isn't critical, I'd say go for it. But even refrigerated film does deteriorate over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In short, yes.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Once again, thanks to everyone who offer their opinions in helping me in this decision.

I am going for it even if I have to develop it myself. It has been a few long years since I worked in color.

Thanks again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin