Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,139   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    ... I'd give much to be able to do the same with Efke/Adox 25, which is one of my favourite films in medium format, but it doesn't seem to be available in 9x12.

-NT
    I'm pretty sure it is still available. I've got a box of 30+ sheets left of Efke 25 in 9x12cm size. I use it in my old 9x12cm folder, and bought some 9x12 DDS so I could use it in my MPP. I also shoot it in 120.

Lovely film.

(Efke 25 in a Certo Six folder, souped in Rodinal 1+100)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like all the Adox films, but the 50 and 25 are the best IMHO. The grain is slightly larger than Ilford equivalents.
    I've never used them in sheet but the 120 is a little curly and harder to load in the spiral.
    I think some call them "retro" because they ARE a 1950's emulsion, coated on antique machinery to a 1953 formulation, as far as I know there has been no recent updated method of manufacture as the factory was in the former Soviet Bloc it probably preserved the old methods.
    Some say that the old machines mean less QC and some find image defects like pinholes, I've not seen one but it's something to consider.
    When all is said and done try a box, see how they work for you.
    Here is my experience 25ART:
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
    and 50ART
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...hs-50-art.html
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the Adox 50 in 120 format quite often and I love the stuff. From what I understand it is the exact same film as the Efke ISO 50 except the Adox version comes in a nice and handy plastic tube that keeps the film protected from light when shooting out in the harsh sun. Very useful. I've started saving these so I can use them with other films when out in the field.

I agree with freestyle's assesment that this film has a "retro" look. In my experience a large part of this is that the film does seem to be slightly less sensetive to red and the grain quality is very pronounced but not overbearing, especially in a developer like rodinal.

I've personaly never once experienced defects in the film. It is a bit on the curly side once its developed, but its worth the extra effort to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is still available. I've got a box of 30+ sheets left of Efke 25 in 9x12cm size.
    Do you remember where you got it? Freestyle sells Efke 25 in 6.5x9 but not in 9x12; I'd love to have a pointer to your source. (Even if it's remote from me, I can probably work something out through friends in various random parts of the world.)

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't say that I've ever found Adox films have a Retro look, and I've been using KB14, now known by it's ISO rating as KB25, in various formats (KB, R & PL) for over 30 years, Verichrome Pan was the last film I used that had a Retro look.

However the drop in red sensitivity compared to other films might be more important with certain subjects but I've not found it a problem with landscapes or portraits.

Ian

Adox

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    here's my take on the film as I only have used the 100 speed film...to me it is a pain in the butt compared to kodak;fuji; or ilford films...I've been doing this a long time and if I get problem negs it is the FILM period!! you save money and can get it in unusual sizes but to me it is really just the opposite...you lose money and time because of the defects in the film...just my opinion..try it for yourself and post back here....
    Best, Peter
    I would tend to agree with Peter. The Adox films are reported to need hardeners because of a more sensitive emulsion. Also, with Adox films,one is advised to limit developing temperatures to below 75 degrees in order to prevent potential emulsion problems ( although some here have reported no difficulties with developing Adox films at such higher temperatures ). Finally, much advice on APUG centers about using only one or two films with one developer until the characterisitics of one's materials are thoroughly understood, and reproducibel results are achievable. Such caveats withstanding, many here are simply hobbyists who enjoy tinkering and comparing various films, developers, papers, etc. Thus, grab a few rolls or sheets or whatever film you want, be prepared for some angst, and have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Do you remember where you got it? Freestyle sells Efke 25 in 6.5x9 but not in 9x12; I'd love to have a pointer to your source. (Even if it's remote from me, I can probably work something out through friends in various random parts of the world.)

Thanks

-NT
    I bought mine from Retrophotographic some time ago. Fotoimpex lists it (or at least they did last time I checked). Europe, and especially Germany, is the best place to find 9x12cm films.

Shooter
    35mm

EFKE (Adox) films

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    I like all the Adox films, but the 50 and 25 are the best IMHO. The grain is slightly larger than Ilford equivalents.
    I've never used them in sheet but the 120 is a little curly and harder to load in the spiral.
    I think some call them "retro" because they ARE a 1950's emulsion, coated on antique machinery to a 1953 formulation, as far as I know there has been no recent updated method of manufacture as the factory was in the former Soviet Bloc it probably preserved the old methods.
    Some say that the old machines mean less QC and some find image defects like pinholes, I've not seen one but it's something to consider.
    When all is said and done try a box, see how they work for you.
    Here is my experience 25ART:
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
    and 50ART
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...hs-50-art.html
    Mark
    Well,

1. EFKE is from Zagreb, Croatia, which at the time was in Yugoslavia, which newer was a part of Soviet bloc.

2. I newer saw pinholes, either. QC was awful in ORWO factory (East Germany), which produced some films with old AGFA technology.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by acoljub View Post
    1. EFKE is from Zagreb, Croatia, which at the time was in Yugoslavia, which newer was a part of Soviet bloc.
    Yugoslavia was an associated member of Comecon and thus economically in a certain sense part of the Soviet bloc.

2. I newer saw pinholes, either.
    I had some pinholes on 35mm film years ago.

I have used Adox/ Efke (CHS) 25/50/100 in the past. When looking at some pictures people said indeed "it looks like from the fifties". No idea why it has this look.

I'm still sometimes using the Adox/ Efke (CHS) 100 in 9x12 cm (I would like to use them more frequently but with hand held cameras in 9x12 cm it is always useful to be able to stop down the aperture, thus I use mostly HP5+).

In any case, the Adox/ Efke (CHS) are wonderful films.

Markus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Mark Antony;797423]as the factory was in the former Soviet Bloc
    I think the Marshal Tito and the Yugoslavs would have taken umbrage at this remark.:o
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin