Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,876   Posts: 1,520,254   Online: 1103

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark,

The question was (I guess) whether there were Adox branded films beyond 1970 and before the name had been re-surrected by those canadian and german new Adox-companies.

All Adox films before 1962 were definitely from Germany, and those up to 1970 most probably.
    Last edited by AgX; 05-18-2009 at 06:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, the Canadian films are Adox by name only as far as I know, I know that Dupont licensed the technology (but not the Adox name) to Fotokemika in 1970 whether that means the actual machinery was shipped from Germany to Zagreb at that time I don't know- but probably.
    The Adox brand is now owned by Photo Impex (for Europe) I think the confusion of the two Adox brands is probably born of the trade name rights in North America being separated from the European rights (in the U.S ADOX is a registered trademark of DuPont chemicals).
    I have been using the films only from the 1980's onwards, they were always branded EFKE or in my local area Jessops used them for their own brand.
    I think the return to the original name is a recent Photo Impex thing.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Antony; 05-18-2009 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought EFKE Adox branded films in the 70's and early 80's but then the UK importer changed and they were later sold as Jessop's own brand films.

I have an article from Amateur Photographer dated June 1978 which shows the film being sold under the EFKE Adox name, and made by Fotokemica, Zagreb, under licence from Du Pont, Fotowerke.

As far as I remember the Du Pont licence allowed Fotokemica (EFKE) the use of the name Adox for the emulsions, and that ceased when the licence expired. Certainly they were advertised as Adox films, and always carried the Dupont licence. It was Dupont who let the trade name lapse allowing Fotoimpex and others to register the name years later..

In BJP Almanacs from the 60's Adox film & paper was imported and distributed by Luminos, and I think that may be linked to the later sale of Adox papers under the Luminos brand name in the US.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-18-2009 at 08:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add photo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    `New´ Fotokemika states that `old´ Fotokemika started pruduction of films in 1957 and acquired licences from Dupont in 1970. That does not neccessarily mean that they started production on the imported german machinery the same year. Though, I thought so.
    HI AgX:

I did find the old ADOX box I saved, and we may be both right.
    It is from a roll of KB-17 that I bought in the early 70's, But it turns out the exiry date was Jul70. I was a kid starting out and buying film with a small allowance so I haunted Camera stores to find their out of date adox and ansco film, as it typicaly sold for half price or less.

The box is marked that is is made in Germany Ges Gesch WZ (whatever that means) by du pont fotowerke ADOX gmbh Franfurt am Main. it is size 135-20 and is marked 17 din on one side and 40 ASA on the other. The Emuslion Number was 118939.

This sort of low speed film generally had a couple of years expiry so it was undoubtedly made BEFORE 1970. I don't recall seeing anything from EFKE till many years later so it is hard to say how long they took to get up to speed on the equipment and licences they obtained from Dupont.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    `Ges. Gesch. WZ´ means `Gesetzlich Geschütztes Warenzeichen´(`Legally Protected Trademark´).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    `Ges. Gesch. WZ´ means `Gesetzlich Geschütztes Warenzeichen´(`Legally Protected Trademark´).
    Thanks! it is always good to learn...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin