Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,016   Online: 887

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Questions about Adox Films

Well, In the ever-ongoing quest to find the cheapest film to feed my hungry, hungry, 8x10, I came across Adox. While not the cheapest I could find, it intrigued me.

After reading the description that they had on it over at Freestyle, I'm curious about your experiences with this film. Does this film actually does give a "retro" look as it was described to? If so, then I definitely want to try this film, however I'm not sure if the description was total BS.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was curious about that claim too, so I tried the 25 and really like it a lot. I think it's the silver content/crystal shape that is similar to some old films. I'll try to get a scan online. I'm no technician, but I think you'll enjoy it if you try it. Good luck, Rory

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It certainly lives up to it's Freestyle description. The shots have a 50 year old look to them. Certainly some awesome black and white films! When I shoot black and white this is the only thing I will use. Aside from the ocassional Tri-X and TMAX.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any "look" is pretty much entirely subjective to judge, but it's my experience that they are very very nice to use. I liked the 25 best, in 35mm.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so Freestyle touts this stuff has having a "retro" look and it seems to have some fans here. What's a "retro" look when it comes to film? How does an Adox negative differ from, say Tri-x or Tmax 100 or HP5+ or... whatever? Can you describe what makes it special to you?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is tough to describe the "retro look" but it has a 50 year old photo quality too it. Shoot some.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    The biggest difference is between a conventional-technology B&W film (Ilford HP5+, Ilford FP4+, Kodak Tri-X, Foma films, Efke films, etc.) and T-grain films (Ilford Delta, Kodak T-Max, Fuji Acros). The latter have finer grain than similar-speed conventional films, and the grain has a very different "feel" to it. It's hard to describe, but it seems subjectively more regular and artificial. Again subjectively, T-grain films can produce a more "creamy" texture to them, particularly the low-speed films. You might prefer one or the other. Personally, I don't much like the look of T-grain grain, but when it's small enough for the grain to not be very prominent (as in T-Max 100), I like the creamy texture for some subjects. Others have other preferences.

The differences among conventional-technology films are harder to describe, but can be just as real. One point that's relatively easy to describe is that some brands, such as Efke, are definitely grainier than their like-speed competitors. Efke KB50 is much grainier than Ilford Pan F+ 50, for instance, at least in my subjective judgment.

As Ektagraphic says, your best bet is to shoot some of these films to see for yourself what they do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Adox

here's my take on the film as I only have used the 100 speed film...to me it is a pain in the butt compared to kodak;fuji; or ilford films...I've been doing this a long time and if I get problem negs it is the FILM period!! you save money and can get it in unusual sizes but to me it is really just the opposite...you lose money and time because of the defects in the film...just my opinion..try it for yourself and post back here....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the Adox/Efke films have slightly reduced red sensitivity---not like ortho films, but enough that Adox/Efke 25 at least has been described as "orthopanchromatic". That seems to have something to do with their distinctive look.

I've shot a fair amount of Efke 100 in 9x12, and it just has a certain je ne sais quoi that's not obviously attributable to any one thing but that has to do more with tonality than with grain structure. (On the other hand, I was horribly disappointed with it in 35mm.) I'd give much to be able to do the same with Efke/Adox 25, which is one of my favourite films in medium format, but it doesn't seem to be available in 9x12.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Adox

actually if you want the older look go and try the Varycon paper...the neg has less to do with it...
    Peter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin