Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,034   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi guys and thank you for taking the time.
    I can't fill a tank first, wish I could. Right now I work out of a dark bag so that could be a issue....
    Well Frank, that funnel idea is worth a shot.

I'm confused as I pour in and pour out my chems rather quickly so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I will also try to use a weaker developer.
    Thank you again everyone for your guidnce.
    Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Presoak the film. This will slow the absorption of developer a bit.

Tip the tank a bit when pouring in the developer and rotate it slightly as you pour. This will speed up the pouring process a bit and get more film into the developer faster.

Use more dilute devloper and longer developing times to make the partial exposure to developer a smaller fraction of the total developing time.

Make sure you have the proper amount of developer for the tank and reel combination you are using (i.e., that you are filling the tank enough to cover the top of the film when not agitating). This should be a no-brainer, but it is surprising how often the mistake is made.

Re-examine your agitation technique. Maybe it is at fault, not the filling/draining.

If all else fails, load the film on the reels upside-down... :-) (Seriously though, maybe it is a camera/exposure issue...)

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Doremus.
    I'm starting to think that NOT measuring my developer is a problem. I've been filling to the top thus perhaps maybe my agitating is not working?

Shooter
    35mm
    Which size tank are you using? I have the System 4 tank that holds 2 35mm or 1 120 reel. I use 800ml of Xtol 1:3. Good coverage over the reel and enough empty space for good flow of developer when I invert. I also use the plastic thingie and spin the reels back and forth in place of inverting two or three times in the course of my 10-12 minute developing sequence. I get even development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ven, I use the larger 3 35mm tank.......
    Thank you

Shooter
    35mm
    For three 35mm reels that volume would be 290ml per reel, so 870ml total. The recommendation is written on the bottom of the tank for Paterson tanks and I am puzzled as to a reason to ignore it ? In any case, there would be no need to fill above the start of the 'funnel' part of the tank when filling it visually rather than by volume. The airspace is important in getting enough movement of the liquids during agitation.

For short times, putting the reels into a tank containing developer (rather than putting the developer into a tank full of reels) is a reasonable solution (pun intended). As mentioned by lots of people, when there is no available darkroom the only practical alternative might be to dilute the developer to get a longer time, or even change developer. I suppose the 'ultimate' step is leave the film standing still in diluted Rodinal for ninety minutes, but maybe that's a bit extreme !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, thank you ALL. I'm just going to take the offer of my cousin and take his Jobo ATL-2300 for a few bucks. Looks like I can store up on the exposed films, b&w and Color, Slide and have this beast do it.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
    Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    Again, thank you ALL. I'm just going to take the offer of my cousin and take his Jobo ATL-2300 for a few bucks.
    Tom
    Now that is a NICE cousin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin