Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,394   Online: 709

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Deep multi-Tanks, Can't avoid over exposure on the bottom...

Evening all.

I'm having the same issue with my patterson 4 tank. I'm filling as fast as I can but it seems the bottom reel is still getting a bit overexposed more then the top reel.

Is there any tips/tricks that could help? I've searched but came by nothing.
    Thank you.
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    Evening all.

I'm having the same issue with my patterson 4 tank. I'm filling as fast as I can but it seems the bottom reel is still getting a bit overexposed more then the top reel.

Thank you.
    Tom

Do you mean overdeveloped?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have the loaded reals in one tank and the developer in another. Turn the lights off, transfer the reals to the filled tank, lid up and then turn the lights on.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fill it with developer first and then put the film in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Evening all.

Thank you.
    Tom
    Tom,

Would you be willing to try filling the tank with the developer and gently dropping or inserting inserting the loaded reels into the tank, putting the top back on and giving it its initial agitation before turning the darkroom light back on?

You will probably find that you will get more even development between the top and the bottom reels.

Ken

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    35mm
    Just wondering, how much volume do 4 SS reels full of film take up, compared to 4 empty reels? Getting the liquid level right would seem a bit tricky that way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    how exactly are you processing your film ?

are you talking about DEEP tanks or SMALL tanks ??
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-12-2009 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's an interesting question. Are you sure that the bottom reel is being over developed? If you invert your tank when dumping the developer, then the top reel should get the same over-development as the bottom reel, only at the end of the process, not the beginning.

You might consider filling your tank before you load the reels. Stack the reels on the cylinder as normal, and then plop them in the tank just before you turn on the lights. If the top reel then becomes over-developed because of its longer immersion during draining, your hypothesis is correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Evening all.

Thank you.
    Tom
    I have a similar tank, and I fill and drain it normally. I don't have any problems like you describe. You can fill the tank first, then drop the reels in. That works, but it's too easy to knock something over in the dark. It can be messy, and it can ruin your work. There's a better solution; and it is one that is very easy to implement. Use a funnel stuck into the fill hole and use a slower working developer. The funnel will allow you to pour the developer quickly without spillage. If you aim for a total development time of no less than 7 minutes, preferably around 10 minutes, then the drain and fill times become but a very small percentage of the total development time, and there won't be any practical difference in development. Don't worry about the extra volume displaced by a loaded vs. empty reels. It's only a few milliliters per reel. If you have enough volume to cover 4 empty reels, then there's enough to cover 4 loaded ones without overloading the tank.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can also try higher developer dilutions to achieve longer developing times; this will reduce the effect that small deviations have, relative to the total developing time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin