Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,455   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Does film deteriorate in a hot car – of course it does

But how hot, how long many hours at a time and how many days are the questions you need to answer yourself.

If you are going to spend all the summer photographing in Death Valley with your film sitting in full sun on the passenger seat of the car – then of course you will be in trouble

I carry my film in Lock & Lock food containers – which are perfectly water tight

If you want to be sure of your film stock in almost any scenario – then get a large Chest Cooler, put your film in Lock & Lock containers and top it up with Ice from the Hotel/Motel ice cube maker every morning.

Bringing in your film to the room each night also allows you to remove enough film stock for the following day together with storing todays film, using clean, dry hands in controlled conditions.

If you don’t want to bother with a Chest Cooler, the space under the front seats of a car is the coolest place on a sunny day.

Have a great time

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon D. View Post
    I totally understand. But it's not heat damage that I'm particularly cautioned about. I just want the integrity of the film to last as long as possible; and it's usually recommended that film be refrigerated to ensure better keeping. Plus, I usually operate on the "It's better to be safe than to be sorry" MOD, even if the risk doesn't seem high.

In any case, I usually keep most of my film refrigerated because I don't always know how soon I'll be using it in advance. And a chunk of the film in my inventory is already expired, and it will likely go with me on some of these trips.

When film is refrigerated you slow down the aging process. When a film is at room temperature (or hotter) the aging process starts again. You are not going to notice any "extra" aging from a few days of having film in a car. All film is shipped to vendors and retailers on trucks. They are not refrigerated.
    It is not a temporary exposure to higher temperatures that will damage film.

In addition to that, even refrigerating film will not halt the fog that will eventually develop due to background radiation in the atmosphere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    If you don’t want to bother with a Chest Cooler, the space under the front seats of a car is the coolest place on a sunny day.
    Not in Death Valley! Not in the Mojave Desert!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    When film is refrigerated you slow down the aging process. When a film is at room temperature (or hotter) the aging process starts again. You are not going to notice any "extra" aging from a few days of having film in a car. All film is shipped to vendors and retailers on trucks. They are not refrigerated.

In addition to that, even refrigerating film will not halt the fog that will eventually develop due to background radiation in the atmosphere.
    i knew of someone who used to deliver "pro film" to stores in the delivery
    van. it was the film that was in the fridge in-store, but in his 100ºF van
    as he drove for a few hours from store to store in the middle of the summer.

no one seemed to complain ...

enjoy your trip
    and don't worry too much about your film
    it will be fine, no matter how you choose to store it ...

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post

Thanks! However, as I said earlier, I could be gone for an unknown number of weeks. And like I said, some of the film I'll be using has already expired or is nearing its expiration date -- it's not all new film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    What size film, what quantity?
    I'll just be shooting 120 (6x6) and a little bit of 35mm. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Not in Death Valley! Not in the Mojave Desert!

Steve
    Steve, I said the coolest place in the car - ie not quite as boiling hot as the rest of the car

After a few of hours in the sun, the space under the front seats is still about 25C cooler than head height.

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Martin. And yeah, I was never intending to make this a big deal, like if I didn't keep the film cool that it would be the end of the world. I just wanted to to know that types of precautions photographers take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I went on a road trip/hiking trip in FL last summer I bought a beach type bag from walmart. It is large, when I moved and drove cross country I packed my photo paper in it, some 11x14 and several boxes of 100 sheet 8x10. In the inside it is insulated like the little lunch bags people take to work or school. I put my film in there, a few snacks, and two of the frozen ice packs. Even when I had to leave it in the car for a several hours while I was hiking at the end of the day the frozen packs where still frozen! Every thing inside was nice and cold.

Best part of having that cold pack in the car was that after I finished some rolls and ran out of film I could put the exposed film in the bag and load up on fresh film. I thought it was most useful for holding the exposed film as I always heard it is best to develop film asap after exposure and since I wasn't going to be able to develop for a week, at least the exposed film wasn't getting heat damaged while it was in my trek pack or in the car.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Get yourself a 12volt cooler if you're really concerned. Go igloo - stay away from the coleman. I have a nifty 12volt / 110 volt igloo that I got for just this purpose... keeps the beer nice and chill too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin