Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,785   Online: 834

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Steve, I said the coolest place in the car - ie not quite as boiling hot as the rest of the car

After a few of hours in the sun, the space under the front seats is still about 25C cooler than head height.

Martin
    In the desert, the floors get very hot from reflected heat, the muffler and the transmission and for four wheel drive vehicles the transfer case.

I load up the ice chest part way, and put the film in a leak proof container. The right amount of ice is that amount that leaves only a little ice at the end of the day.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Get yourself a 12volt cooler if you're really concerned. Go igloo - stay away from the coleman. I have a nifty 12volt / 110 volt igloo that I got for just this purpose... keeps the beer nice and chill too.
    That would be my plan for an extended road trip. Take out one days worth and let it warm up, baggie your shot film and stash it at the end of the day - unless you are sending it off to be processed. If you are running short, take out extra and give it an hour or two to warm up.

The little coolers use a solid state heat pump module and so they don't have many moving parts. You can let it warm up in your hotel room, or get the AC adaptor and plug it in. that will allow you to also use the cooler for beverages and sandwiches etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon D. View Post
    Thanks! However, as I said earlier, I could be gone for an unknown number of weeks. And like I said, some of the film I'll be using has already expired or is nearing its expiration date -- it's not all new film.
    What I would do, is get several Tupperware type containers, enough to hold all your film, plus an extra. Also get a roll of red and green electrical tape. Fill all the containers with film, except one. Put a strio of green tape around the outside edge, and a green X on the top. Fill your camera bag with enough film for two days. Shoot the first day, at the end take out the shot film, put it in the empty tupperware container, and put a red tape X on the top. Open one of your containers of film, and take out the same number of rolls. Put a dot with a marker on each film box you take out. You use the rolls without the dot first. The next day you do the same thing, except use 2 dots. Drain the water from the cooler and add fresh ice. When the red container is full, put a strip of red tape around the outside, and remove the X from the top. Take the now empty Tupperware container and remove the green X and put a red X on it. You always then know which containers have used and unused film in them.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Believe it or not...the ground temperature in Death Valley can exceed 200F during the day in summer. I put my film in one of those red or blue six pack plastic coolers you can buy at the grocery. I've never had really good luck with film in ziplocks in the cooler, somewhere along the line on a two week trip, it gets wet in there and makes a mess. The six pack cooler doesn't keep it below 55 degrees, but it does prevent the extreme afternoon spiking of temperatures if you have to leave it in the car buttoned up.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For an extended road trip across Canada a friend of mine bought one of those coolers that plug into the cigarette lighters in cars. She had a variety of film - IR, slide, B&W. The cooler had a dual function and could also keep things warm. In the push to get home on time she drove 2 days, and discovered that those last 2 days the cooler had been set on hot and she'd been cooking her film. Thought she'd wreaked it all, but everything developed OK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin