Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,051   Online: 885

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Road Trip Precautions for Film

Are there any special precautions you take when traveling with film (e.g,. in a car) on a long road trip?

I'm thinking about doing some traveling this summer, and I don't want any of the film exposed to excess heat very much (e.g., just in case I have to leave the film in my car while I'm on a trip). Would it be a good idea to leave my film in some kind of ice cooler to maintain the integrity of the film?

Thanks for all of your responses!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I get a big tupperware container to hold the film in, and then place that in a cooler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always bring my film in when I check in for the night; no exceptions. That's about it. Maybe I would be more careful if I shot more color. I didn't have any problems on my last trip, and there was some color...but then again, that was cross country in Jan., so it never got that hot. Will be heading to Detroit via road this summer, so it will be a consideration for me as well. The last trip, I was more concerned about 5F in Roanoke than 105F in Detroit.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-12-2009 at 12:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, guys!

And yes, I'll definitely be bringing my film inside for the night, primarily for "security" reasons, ahaha. But I just know that I won't always be able to bring it inside during the day. And who knows, I could be out on the road and away from home for weeks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Film can tolerate high temperatures..particularly if it is of short duration, such as in the car for several hours. Remember film was the only way to take pictures for 100 years or so. Nobody worried about overheating film. I don't ever recall, in my 50 years ot taking photos of any heat damage to film (color or black and white) from leaving it in the car in summer for a while, like while going to a museum, or eating lunch, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Film can tolerate high temperatures..particularly if it is of short duration, such as in the car for several hours. Remember film was the only way to take pictures for 100 years or so. Nobody worried about overheating film. I don't ever recall, in my 50 years ot taking photos of any heat damage to film (color or black and white) from leaving it in the car in summer for a while, like while going to a museum, or eating lunch, etc.
    I totally understand. But it's not heat damage that I'm particularly cautioned about. I just want the integrity of the film to last as long as possible; and it's usually recommended that film be refrigerated to ensure better keeping. Plus, I usually operate on the "It's better to be safe than to be sorry" MOD, even if the risk doesn't seem high.

In any case, I usually keep most of my film refrigerated because I don't always know how soon I'll be using it in advance. And a chunk of the film in my inventory is already expired, and it will likely go with me on some of these trips.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I worked at a photo store when I was a kid and when we would unload the truck when our film was delivered in the summer it was hot and in the winter it was cold.No one ever noticed any difference. A foam cooler will help with the heat but don't worry about it too much.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always figure that I have to keep my film somewhere, and on a long trip I always have a cooler, so why not keep unexposed and exposed film in baggies or better yet, those light plastic gladware type containers you can buy in the grocery store now. I am planning to do some motorcycle traveling this summer, carrying a minimal shooting kit, and am a little concerned about the heat on both film and equipment.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't leave your color film in the car unless its in a cooler.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    What size film, what quantity?

When I take the 7x17 off for a week or two, I have boxes of film and loaded film holders in a big cooler. I often take both 7x17 and 8x10, so two big coolers. If I am lucky I use a motel as a base camp. At 69 I have even been known to use room service in my base camp. Slippers may be my approach boots. That means the coolers and the camera gear come in. That means a wheeled dolly. That means a large light colored SUV with tinted windows and air conditioning.

I am re-reading Edward Weston's Day books. He had quite a bit of trouble with fogged film that he blamed on heat in Mexico in 1923-26, well within the 100 years mentioned above.

John Powers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin