Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Wow, great advice all.

Still a bit green, to not know the trick with sodium sulfite...any tips on how much to add? This is timely because I had a print I really worked on and just loved, found the perfect method to sepia tone JUST right and selenium tone JUST right...only to have a stain somehow in the top ruin it.
    Staining is usually caused by either insufficient fixing or print washing before toning or possibly both.

To fully fix a print for Toning you need either very fresh Fix in a single bath or a two bath fixing regime (see Darkroom Cookbook 3rd Ed)

To properly wash you need to soak the print in a bath of either a commercial Hypo Clearing Agent or a self made one (again Darkroom Cookbook - Sodium Sulphite 20g per litre of working solín)

After the Hypo Clearing Agent soak give the print a good wash before you start the Toning process.

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Colin,
    I fear there is a possibility for you to be confused now that you have what may seem to be contradictory info from Martin and me. I suppose I should’ve given my reference for my post earlier. Since I’m certainly not smart enough to come up with this stuff, I defer to the experts. All that I posted was taken from Ansel Adams’ “The Print”, 1st Edition. I had used that source years ago to prepare a step-by-step procedure to keep handy in my Darkroom Notebook, along with chemistry info, simply because I can’t remember all of that stuff. Actually, what Martin has told you is just one way to get satisfactory results. I just re-examined Kodak Publication G-23 “Toning Black-and-White Materials” dated May 2006 on their website (search for selenium toning) and they say pretty much the same as Martin regarding the washing part of the process. But it also states the following (emphasis added) which mimics the AA procedure:

Wash fiber-base prints in running water at 18 to 20C
    (65 to 75F) for one hour, or use KODAK Hypo Clearing
    Agent to reduce the wash time; wash resin-coated prints for
    4 minutes.
    Note: If you use Hypo Clearing Agent after fixing fiber-base
    prints, you can use a working solution of Hypo Clearing
    Agent to dilute Rapid Selenium Toner 1:20 or 1:40, and
    eliminate the wash step between fixing and toning. To avoid
    stains, don’t rinse the prints after fixing; immerse them
    directly into the combination bath, and tone for
    approximately 3 minutes for print protection or longer for a
    tone change. Do not reuse this Hypo Clearing Agent bath to
    treat untoned prints; it will contain traces of toner. After
    using this combination bath, wash the prints for at least
    30 minutes in running water at 18 to 20C (65 to 75F) with
    frequent agitation.

Apparently Kodak still hasn’t noticed the erroneous conversion of 20C to 75F yet. Any fool knows that 20C is 68F. AA says to limit wash water to 70F (cooler than toner temp) or risk losing some of the toning effect (AA explains the reason). Note also that AA calls for 1:10 to 1:20 toner dilution, rather than 1:20 or 1:40.

Regarding sodium sulfite, AA says 2 lbs plain hypo per gal, to which is added about 4 oz sodium sulfite. I used my darkroom scales to convert this to what I posted.

Hope this clarifies any potential confusion.

Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys.

This is interesting, because I've been using fresh (Ilford non-hardening) fixer, then washing thoroughly and using fresh Edwal HCA. They recommend using a 2-bath setup for this, at 1:15. I then wash it thoroughly after that, also.

In addition, I kept the prints in a wash tray, with water slightly (5-10 degrees C) warmer than the selenium toner, which is Ilford's product at 1:10.

I've only had the one print have a small, globby stain at the top, seems almost like a water mark or something.

Anyway, this is all great info and I thank you.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Note: If you use Hypo Clearing Agent after fixing fiber-base
    prints, you can use a working solution of Hypo Clearing
    Agent to dilute Rapid Selenium Toner 1:20 or 1:40, and
    eliminate the wash step between fixing and toning. To avoid
    stains, donít rinse the prints after fixing; immerse them
    directly into the combination bath.....

Yes, you can use this older technique to avoid stains but HCA mixed in KRST has a limited shelf life. This results in discarding toner after a few days. Stains occur if the paper is not in an alkaline state. Another path to avoid stains is avoiding an acid environment by using a weak stop bath or effective water stop. Fix prints in TF-4 or similar alkaline fix. Follow with a 5 min water rinse prior to toning. Discard toner when it fails to tone efficiently (30-40 8x10s) or 5+ months). Toner sediment is reduced. Use HCA after toning. Prints wash faster in an alkaline fix (20 - 30 min). If using one tray limit fiber print capacity to (12) 8x10s per L.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 05-15-2009 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin