Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,346   Online: 819

Images

? about print size for "call for entries"

First I will say, I have e-mailed this question to the listed address but I have not gotten a reply.

The rules for the National Portrait Gallery's call for entries states:

"must be unmounted and on paper no smaller than 420 x 297mm (A3 size)... The image may be smaller than the paper size" (What is "A3 size"?)

I converted it to inches and it's 16.5354 x 11.6929". While it's not a standard paper size, more importantly my easel doesn't extend that large. I know I can otherwise flatten paper (hopefully) enough to print without an easel, but it just seems odd that a standard paper size would not be recommended. It makes me think, or hope, I'm misunderstanding something here.

Any experienced comments you can make? Thank you!

Janet

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Janet,

A3 is a standard European paper size. A4 is similar to letter size, but longer and narrower, A3 is twice the size of A4. From what you quote above, you need to submit an unmounted print on photo paper that size or larger. If you are printing on US standard size papers, that means 16x20 to start and trim to a size you like. Unfortunately, it seems that 11x14-inch paper or even UK 12x16-inch paper will not work.

Seems really silly to me too, especially since photo papers in Europe are usually found in the standard inch-sizes we are used to in the US. Who are these people anyway? ... :-)

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    use 12x16 or 16x20 which is very standard in the photo world. if you don't have an easel, use a clean glass and rulers, which is a cheap replacement.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A3 isn't just a European size, it's the ISO international standard which all but a handful of countries now use . Obviously, the traditional darkroom papers that we use tend to be measured in inches, but digital papers, again with the exception of a small handful of countries, are in ISO sizes, A4, A3, A2 etc. There is also A3+ (13x19in).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216 for details.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Janet, I can't help you with your question, but KNOCK "EM DEAD with your entries!

Images
    Doremus, here's a link to the thread about the Nat'l Portrait Gallery:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum242/...k-contest.html

Images
    By the way, thank you all for your replies!

Janet

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the link Janet.

My sarcastic reply was off-base: For some reason I thought it was a US organization requiring a non-US standard size. This, of course, is a UK portrait gallery, and of course wants a UK standard size for the entries.

I believe that 12x16 paper is smaller than A3, and might disqualify you. Play it safe, get 16x20 paper, buy yourself a decent easel or get some coated glass and go for it. And, good luck!

And Mike: Yes, I realize that the US is (still) out of step with the rest of the world... It's a never ending source of frustration for me, who lives on two continents. Videos, electric appliances, envelopes and paper sizes, cell phones, etc., etc., are all incompatible... I need two sets of a lot of things that I really shouldn't.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com
    Best

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is a very sad and telling request.

Inkjet Photo paper is generally sold in the International A? sizes.

Therefore who ever wrote the rules at the UK National Portrait Gallery is expecting Inkjet Prints to be submitted.

Whether the decision was a conscious one or not - it tells me at least what a niche market we analogue users have become

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would not have jumped to that conclusion Martin.

I may have lived in this country for a long time, I am still strangely reluctant to inches. I find cm and mm logical and easier! anyway, weren't we meant to transition to the metric system?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin