Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,033   Online: 884

Thread: Ilfosol 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfosol 3

I had a bottle of Ilfosol3 that I have not used in a while and mixed up a litre of 1:14. How many 35mm rolls can I process before it should be tossed?

Shooter
    35mm
    In amateur/hobbyist darkrooms, B&W film developer is almost always used one-shot -- you use enough to cover the film (or the minimum volume required to develop the film, in the case of some very dilute developers), develop a roll with it, and then dump it. Thus, with a tank that requires 250ml to cover a roll, 1 liter of developer will develop four rolls. If your tank requires 300ml, it'll handle three rolls (with 100ml left over). If your tank takes 350ml, you'll get only two rolls, but with 300ml left over. You might want to verify that Ilfosol 3 at 1+14 doesn't require more volume than your tank's minimum for developing a roll, though. This information should be in the instructions or on Ilford's Web site.

Note that liquid developers are generally diluted to working strength just prior to use. If you intend to process several rolls in one sitting, diluting enough to do all of them at once makes sense; but if you've diluted the developer now with the intention of using it over the next week or two, you should stop that practice. As a general rule, the more concentrated the developer, the longer it lasts. At working strength, a developer might last anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks -- how long depends on the developer. I don't know offhand how long Ilfosol 3 lasts when diluted, but I wouldn't count on it lasting for very long. If you mixed a lot because you have problems measuring the small quantities required to develop a single roll, you should buy something you can use to measure smaller quantities. I use a syringe that's marketed as a way to measure small quantities of liquid children's medicines. This type of syringe can't take a needle, and where I live (in Rhode Island, USA), it was available off the shelf in my local drug store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I normally use HC-110 as a one shot and DD/X at 1:9 for about 10 rolls. I have used the Ilfosol3 in the same manor as DD/X (reuse) as a one shot is kind of wasteful and uneconomical.

I asked the specific question because I did not remember what my limits (amount of total film developed) were. I was hoping to do a little bit better than guess work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Then check with Ilford. Their data sheets probably specify a capacity. If they don't, they probably mean it to be used one-shot, although it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilfosol 3 is supposed to be used one shot, and says so on the inside of the peel and read on the front of pack.

As a one shot, you do get the option of 1+9 and 1+14, and to be fair the 1+14 dilution is fine and dandy. I haven't seen any benefit from going stronger

If in doubt download the PDF from Ilford. I have a copy printed off, thats a bit stained and battered. It gets a lot of use
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin