Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,650   Posts: 1,623,572   Online: 772

Shooter
    Medium Format

Darker band down one side of the negative

Hi all,

Got a bit of an odd problem with an image that I've not seen before

http://www.wishy.co.uk/NT-Efke50-R09-F90X-008.jpg is a sample image, the entire roll came out the same way, however obviously its more noticable on some images than others. Most obvious in the sky, probably the left 1/6th of the film. (And sorry for the boring image, this was a noticeable one)

Film: Efke (Adox) CHS 50 Art - 35mm
    Developer: Adox R09, about 1/3rd of a 1l bottled used over the last couple of years, the stuff lasts forever. 3 very gentle inversions per minute, as this stuff foams easily. 9 minutes at 1:40. 20C
    Stop: Ilford, probably spend 30 seconds in stop while i sorted out the fix. Probably 24C room temp
    Fix: Ilford Rapid Fix. Cleared leader in approximately 30 seconds. Probably 24C room temp
    Wash: 10 minute with a parterson force wash hose. Probably about 16C by the end of it
    Drying: Drysonal (As i need it try by the time i leave the darkroom - don't see how this could be responsible for what looks to be overdevelopment on part of the roll)
    Water: Birmingham is reasonably soft water. Tap water used.

Camera: F90X, Light tight and trustworthy. Shot a roll of slide film after this and results were perfect.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Wishy; 05-14-2009 at 05:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If a roll of slide film came out of the camera OK after this then it’s probably not the camera.

Is the photo you show a scan of the negative or a print from the negative?

Did you get enough dilute developer into the tank when you developed it?

(Probably that’s OK too; otherwise you get spotty uneven development on the film in the foamed developer)

Are the rebate markings on the edge of the film noticeably darker on one side than the other?

Have you tried another roll of film from the same batch?

Is that Birmingham Central Library?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not enough developer to cover the film.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure, but to me it looks like the shutter, I know that a slide film came out OK but Nikons have vertical shutters and consistently 1/6th of the film sounds fishy- have you looked at the shutter during exposure? testing speeds 1/2-1/30? I had a Nikkormat that had a rubber seal come loose eventually jammed the shutter.
    Probably not the cause because of the slide film, but something to check along with enough developer solution as previously suggested.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Martin - Its a scan of the negative, the issue is clear from inspection of the negatives against a light.
    I'll check the negs tonight, but i'm fairly sure Efke is only marked (With the shot number / CHS-25) on one side, not both.
    I think i've used other films from the same batch before. I couldn't be completely sure.
    Its the national theatre in london. Never been able to get a decent shot of the central library, despite it being a "nice" building.

Nicholas - I measured 300ml, thats the right amount for a Super System 4 tank. It not impossible i measured incorrectly, but seems unlikely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I routinely use 400 ml. for 35 mm films in those tanks. Most of the time 300 ml. works, but once in a while... Gotcha! The level of fluid is critically close to not enough at 300 ml. so that a little spillage can ruin things for you.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin