Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,750   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acros in Rodianl 1:100

I usually shoot with FP4+ and develop in D76 1:1 but I wanted to give Acros a try due to it's superior reciprocity characteristics when compared with FP4+. Since I was trying a new film I thought I may as well try a new (to me) developer, hence the Rodianl. The landscape scene was front lit about 3 hours after sunrise, Mamiya 7 with the 80mm lens and I rated the film at 100. The exposure was f8 at 1/500 (sunny f16 confirmed with my LunaPro SBC), range of tones from deep shadow up to cloudless sky.

I developed the negatives last night, 13 min in 500ml Rodinal 1:100, 3 inversions after the developer was poured into the Paterson System 4 tank with plastic reel, one slow inversion every three minutes after that. Stop with the addition of 500 mls RO water for 2 minutes, 5 minutes in Kodak Rapid Fix (no hardener), water 2 minutes, permawash 2 minutes and then Gravity Works film washer 10 minutes. A couple drops of Photoflo in 500 mls water to prevent salt spots on the film...

In an inverted scan of the negative there is shadow detail and it's a bit contrasty but the light was contrasty, there is still density in the sky which I did not expect since unfiltered blue skies always blow out on me. This morning I realized that I should have been using a 1:50 dilution of Rodinal. I've been reading so much on semi-stand development and I was in a rush last night so I guess that's my excuse. Still I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm guessing that the shortened time in developer is what allowed the highlights not to blow out, ie develop for the highlights.

Question is should I do a 1:50 dilution and develop for 13 minutes next time or do the 1:100 with a 30' coffee cup swirl in the middle for a semi-stand development?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had good results [Acros at EI 100] using Rodinal 100+1 using the agitation that you descried. My notes show 18 minutes at 18C. I do not scan my negs, I use a condenser enlarger.

My experience with 120 film [Tmax 400] in pure stand development wasn't good. My hypothesis: the diffusion distance was too far. The outer three frames on the reel were OK. And the top halves of all the others were OK, too. The bottom halves of the 6x6 frames were underdeveloped by 2-3 stops. Perhaps using an empty reel in the bottom of the tank would have solved this.

I've use Rodinal quite a bit at 100+1. The activity of Rodinal at high dilutions always amazes me. It takes a dozen films or more for me to find the right exposure and developing conditions for any particular film/developer. So, keep experimenting. In bright light, as you had, you may consider rating the Acros at EI 50, and using Rodinal 100+1. Nice combo. My notes for this show 14.5 minutes at 18C. Everyone must find the method [times] that works, as the exposing and developing [as you would know] have many variables.

I've been tempted many times to use 120 Acros, for its promise of very fine grain. My Rolleicord work with FP4+ has given me as many or more good prints. Yes, the Acros is great at night.

As a quick a side, where do you purchase the Rodinal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    As a quick a side, where do you purchase the Rodinal?
    I got mine from Freestyle Photo, $16 for 17 oz but they have to ship ground.

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry.Manuel View Post
    I've had good results [Acros at EI 100] using Rodinal 100+1 using the agitation that you descried. My notes show 18 minutes at 18C. I do not scan my negs, I use a condenser enlarger.

My experience with 120 film [Tmax 400] in pure stand development wasn't good. My hypothesis: the diffusion distance was too far. The outer three frames on the reel were OK. And the top halves of all the others were OK, too. The bottom halves of the 6x6 frames were underdeveloped by 2-3 stops. Perhaps using an empty reel in the bottom of the tank would have solved this.

I've use Rodinal quite a bit at 100+1. The activity of Rodinal at high dilutions always amazes me. It takes a dozen films or more for me to find the right exposure and developing conditions for any particular film/developer. So, keep experimenting. In bright light, as you had, you may consider rating the Acros at EI 50, and using Rodinal 100+1. Nice combo. My notes for this show 14.5 minutes at 18C. Everyone must find the method [times] that works, as the exposing and developing [as you would know] have many variables.

I've been tempted many times to use 120 Acros, for its promise of very fine grain. My Rolleicord work with FP4+ has given me as many or more good prints. Yes, the Acros is great at night.
    Thanks Larry. I am very happy with FP4+ (in 120 and 4x5) and have that dialed in with D76 1:1. Acros is less expensive than FP4+ (penny-wise pound foolish I know) and deals with reciprocity issues much better than FP4+. I think I'll just do some film testing to see how it works for me but I was interested in what others are finding. Next I'll try Acros shot at 100 and developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 18 minutes then maybe I'll try semi-stand for 1 hour in Rodinal 1:100 then Rodinal at 1:50 for 13 minutes and see what those results look like. So much to do, so little time...

Scott

Thanks Scott...as I suspected regarding the shipping....

Anyone using Rodinal of a Jobo at 75 degrees, sheet film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 1+100 for 18 minutes, as per the MDC, and find it gives lovely results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too use Rodinal 1:100 with Across for 18 minutes at 18 degrees C. Fantastic results. By far one of my favorite combinations. Nice and creamy tones.

Strangely I really enjoy FP4 too but with the opposite dilution of 1:25.

Images
    Just to add to the already long list; my primary 120 film has become Acros developed in Rodinal 1+100, 18 minutes, 20C shot at 80-100 EI depending on conditions. Can't complain about the results.

I've done one roll of Acros with stand development. But it was Rodinal 1+200 (3 ml to 600 ml) for one hour, with a single inversion at 30 min. Noonday sun in New Mexico (i.e. very contrasty lighting), the negatives came out great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin