Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,975   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    I'm hoping to get a copper effect without the obvious split tone effect you get on a warm paper. Seems to work quite nice, with the selenium holding down the backs and the copper picking up the highlights. Hoping that the selenium not only makes life easier by holding down the blacks but that the print will have a reasonable display life rather than the short life of straight copper toned prints. Any thoughts?
    You might try this method to achieve a warm almost copper effect.

First dilute the bleach used in sepia toning at least 3 times weaker than suggested in the instructions, ie most say 1 to 9 use 1 to 30 or more. Bleach the print for about 20 to 30 seconds and wash then sepia tone it in the normal strength toner. All that will happen is that the highlights only will be slightly changed to a delicate sepia tone. Wash the print and then bleach in a normal strength sepia bleach until the blacks loose the richness you would normally see in a deep rich black. Wash the print and place it into a selenium toner bath, I use a 1 to 9 dilution, and allow it to re-develop
    until it reaches a colour that you like. It can take quite a long time
    sometimes 30 mins or more.

Have fun

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A very light bleach followed by toning in Viradon will give deeper shadows and warm highlights. MGIVRC doen't react at all without the bleach - colour-wise, that is.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, was a set to disagree with you about the MGIV, BUT a 2nd look said RC.,,have had some luck with MGIV Fiber and Viradon, without bleach. However tones, color, etc are much colder than MG WT, as would be expected. I think the MGIV Fiber has a bit of a copper look to it with Viradon.
    Mike C

Rambles

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Aggie,
    I am not trying to minimize your disgust with DVC but had you not taken those classes at DVC would you have been ready for Barnbaum and McLean's workshops? There has to be a starting point somewhere. Those that are driven will seek out more learning situations and those that need just an easy credit will not.

lee\c

edited for spelling as I am an idiot.

l\c

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Les,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a fotospeed kit I bought a year or two ago not long after I started printing. Not got round to opening it yet. Hoping to try it soon though I need to carry out a wee modification to my 5x6 foot darkroom to obtain more tray space before I go really toner daft.

I've uploaded a jpeg of the picture I was working on to the standard gallery, it's called 'Don't shoot!'. It's scanned from a 10x8 MGIV RC print and selenium toned for more depth only.
    I decided to try the selnium/copper tone as I wanted to bring out the detail in the crumbling flats and give an impression of the dusty chaotic conditions I found there. It seems to have worked quite well though I quickly discovered I had to print the faces in the foreground quite light and avoid too long a time in the selenium otherwise the selenium would hold the darker skin tones while the copper picked up the lighter ones and made them look like aliens or something! It's on 12x16 inch MGIV fiber and will hopefully get mounted soon, I just hope it lasts!

It's the first time I've done anything other than straight selenium toning with the fiber as I've not long started working with fiber for the bigger prints I'm trying to get together. It's certainly given me a taste of what can be done. Now where did I put that Sepia kit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "The people have spoken", due to several reports I have moderated this post to help keep it on topic. A few posts were moved out and placed in a moderation queue. If those involved in the off-topic talks want to take it off-line let me know and I'll pm the posts to you guys. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin