Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,303   Online: 796

Shooter
    Medium Format

storage of chemicals in a wine bottle with Vacu Vin stopper

Would there be any issues with storing film or print developers in empty wine bottles using the Vacu Vin http://www.vacuvin.com/Vacuum_Wine_Saver_215.htmlrubber stopper to remove air from the system?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great idea! Just make sure the bottles are really clean to start with and that the stoppers are never used for wine.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, Lawrence, I have done this and it works. Just be sure to clean out the bottle very well!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been doing this for about five years now. Best photo chemical storage system I've used without question.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, been doing it for years without problems. My local grocer sells his house wine in 1 litre bottles which are perfect. Just don't mix up the stoppers with the ones you use for wine!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only disadvantage is that you need a funel. In that way the Jobo HD-PE and wide neck bottles are easier in practical use.
    For critical applications (oxidation) however I use the Vacu Vin stopper for many many years.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I do this too and it works great

Shooter
    35mm
    I do something similar, but I use a Pump-N-Seal, which is designed to use relatively wide-mouth jars rather than wine bottles. I generally use Snapple and similar drink bottles in sizes ranging from about 300ml to 1l. I noticed a marked reduction in the rate at which developers go dark during storage after I began using this system. At a guess, I'd say it roughly doubles the useful life of developers.

One caveat with the Pump-N-Seal, which may not apply to the VacuVin: The caps eventually stop sealing well, I believe because the rubber becomes brittle. I therefore need to replace the caps periodically. This isn't a big deal, but it does add to the consumable cost -- I've got to go buy another bottle of Snapple (or whatever) and use one of the tabs that came with the Pump-N-Seal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin