Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,265   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    I'm doing some tests with some new (to me) 35mm films (Efke 100 and JandC Classic 200). I'm using D-76 1:1 in a JOBO processor. Using the long JOBO recommended pre-soak and cutting the suggested dev, times by about 25% in order to bring my high densities down to where they print properly on a#2 paper. My problem is that my shadows are coming up thin and lacking detail. I hate to drop my film speed on these films in order to bring my shadows up.

I'm wondering if the folks here can suggest a developer that. in their experience, is more active in the low densities that might allow me to stick with the normal film speeds. Also, although it would drop my developing times to below what I would like, I am curious if using the D-76 at full-strength would tend to enhance the lower densities.

Just as an aside, I process Tri-x in FG7 under the same conditions and get good shadow detail at the rated 400. I hope to try Classic 200 in this developer tonight and see if my speed comes up. I'll post the results.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would just drop my EI, but try a developer like Acufine or Diafine to get a real increase in film speed and more shadow detail.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="Flotsam"]
    I'm wondering if the folks here can suggest a developer that. in their experience, is more active in the low densities that might allow me to stick with the normal film speeds. Also, although it would drop my developing times to below what I would like, I am curious if using the D-76 at full-strength would tend to enhance the lower densities.

Many developers that contain phenidone give an increase in effective film speed. Pyrocat-HD contains phenidone, as do some of the Crawley FX formulations, including FX-37. I suspect that either Pyrocat-HD or FX-37 would give you a speed increase of at least 1/4 to 1/2 stop over D-76. You could also probably get an increase in effective film speed over D76 with Xtol.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    Efke seems a difficult film to work even at 100.

See FX-39 (similar to FX-37) Xtol and others here:

http://www.fotoimport.no/pg02/PG02-1-1.htm

(It's in Norwegian, but curves are curves...)

Jorge O

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FX-2 works great with EFKE 100, giving a slight speed increase (about 1/2 to 3/4 stop). It is also great for stand developing, I have used 90 minutes at 20°C with impressive results.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Neal, I have been using a fair bit of Classic 200 and have souped it in D76, D76H, PMK and Rodinal and with these developers and my technique I need to rate the film at an EI of 100 for my best results. This is true for both 120 roll film and sheet.

You could use a developer which gives you a speed gain like Microphen or just try pushing the film by extending the development time. But I just do not like the grain structure with these developers. Classic Pan 200 Developed in PMK 10+20+1000 for 14 minutes is a magic combination.

- Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Extending development time usually only increases contrast by increasing the highlight density without improving shadow detail.

A developer like Microphen or Acufine really does boost shadow detail, which is a real film speed increase. There are also methods like exposing the film to acid vapor or hydrogen peroxide vapor described in Anchell's _Darkroom Cookbook_, but I've never tried them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    There is also the almost forgotten water bath method.

Lynn Jones, professor at the Austin Community College, has a paper on it.
    But it's a real PIA.

Jorge O

Images
    Last night I did a test with Classic 200 in FG-7, (which gives me the rated speed of 400 with Tri-X), and although somewhat over developed, (I had to try to extrapolate the time), the shadows were still thin. Along with the knowlegable responses that I've gotten to this thread, I think that the best solution is to drop the EI when I use these films. I'm bit reluctant to use "Fine Grain" developers with these medium speed films for general use. It makes you wonder what these film companies used to establish these speeds in the first place.

While the JOBO works well in the humble, slapdash, running-water-in-the-adjacent-bathroom, darkroom set-up that I am currently using, I've always been dubious about rotary processing B&W. I would bet that intermitant agitation would allow the shadows to build up a bit more while holding down the highlights.

Thanks to all for the responses.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any "real" acutance developer will give a speed increase. FX-2 I've already mentioned, FX-1 is a little too harsh for 35mm. Neofin Blue was made for the ADOX films which the EFKE films are based on.

If you inist on using D-76, increase the dilution to reduce the solvency which is damaging your shadows.

You don't know what these films are capable of until you've tried them with an acutance developer!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin