Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 845

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had my share of goof-ups in the darkroom to be sure. I haven't done that one yet.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I spent 3 months ( and a chunk of money) hitch-hiking in New Zealand with a heavy 4x5 that I thought I had fixed a light leak problem on. Returning home, I found that I had not fixed the main problem. I only got a couple images worth printing from the trip.

But like you, I had actually photographed. That experience of photographing/seeing made the next attempt all the much better.

If all my negs had not been fogged that first trip, I probably would not have had the such a strong desire to return to NZ (4 years later for 5 months on a pushbike, and a lighter 4x5) and I would not have a much stronger portfolio of NZ landscapes.

A heck of a way to learn, but the lessons are not fogotten.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Been there, done that, had to re-shoot a paid gig with much loss of face and $$$.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Ooh one time, well maybe two,forgot to load film in camera.Invisible film .
    I just did this one. Set up the shot meticulously, waited for the sun to position itself, metered my little brains out, took the shot, headed into the dark to open up the holder, and...nothing.

I think I read once that this used to be called "French film", but I don't know why.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Penn & Teller call it the Chinese Bill of Rights.

It only takes one time to learn. I've done this, and still do it especially when i'm drunk or very tired. Probably every time from now on you'll stop and double check your process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    Penn & Teller call it the Chinese Bill of Rights.

It only takes one time to learn. I've done this, and still do it especially when i'm drunk or very tired. Probably every time from now on you'll stop and double check your process.
    the stories are great keep em coming please.....i feel better already!

Well, likely you were concentrating on those gorgeous half dressed young ladies :}...seriously, most of us here have made similar mistakes in the past, and will, no doubt, continue to make such mistakes. A part of the human condition wherein perfection should neither be sought, not expected....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The first time I loaded film onto a reel I turned on the lights to make sure it was in correctly. Lucky I checked, it was kinked.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    count me in, I've done this once, after that I use different color jug for developer n fixer, never happen again
    Last edited by haryanto; 05-17-2009 at 12:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: language
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anybody who's spent years in photography has made lots of mistakes. I once loaded the magazine of a borrowed Hasselblad 1000F backwards on an assignment where the job could not be redone. A friend of mine with many years of editorial photography experience forgot to add the reducing agent to his developer (he always did that very carefully at the last minute to ensure freshness) and lost a whole basket of 20 rolls, which, fortunately, was only about a third of the shooting for a week long trip involving packhorse trips, airfares, lots of meals on the expense account... They were able to make do with what they had. He'd worked for that outfit for a very long time, so it wasn't his last job for them, but had he been new, that would have been it.

I learned that if I work too late, regardless of how pressing the deadline, I need to stop when I make the first minor mistake, because the next one will be expensive! Get some sleep and start fresh. Don't procrastinate so that a normal job becomes a rush.

You learn eventually not to kick yourself too hard or for too long. Just don't do THAT again. Unfortunately, each mistake is a new one, and while you learn not to do one thing, there are lots of other problems that sneak up on you.

The only way to deal with it, in the end, is to practice awareness of what you are doing. Errors are ALWAYS costly.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin