Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,779   Online: 835

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm
    hi, i used invisible film some time back, but managed to get one clear film like yours and also 2 35 simultaneously lit up by my mom turning the light on in the bathroom while i was putting the second on the reel - all within a week.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    In the darkroom: Disengage the dichro filters and open up the lens to compose on the easel. Then forget to stop the lens down, or re-engage the dichro filters when printing. Dark red mud is what the print looks like.
    So far, most of my cockups have been with printing more than developing. I think the worst I've done with development is to blithely presume that the solution keeping times for E6 chemistry are 'probably only advisory' and proceeded to completely ruin a roll of film using past-it chemistry. I could be blocking some particularly egregious abuses from my memory though...

With the enlarger though the mistakes keep coming thick and fast... I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten to stop down the lens after focussing. I've even realised after I've made a sheet of black test strips, thought 'bloody idiot', and then and gone and made another sheet exactly the same because even though I'm thinking 'you fool' to myself I still forget to stop the thing down a second time... I seem to have some massive blind spot here.

I can also confirm that Ilfochrome doesn't look so great exposed through the back of the paper.

Oh, and on large format - forgetting to close the shutter before taking the photo. That's a particular speciality of mine. Sadly, I haven't yet forgotten to take the darkslide out, otherwise a few more sheets of film might have been saved .
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No one has mentioned pulling the rear darkslide out of the film holder. It's the official way to test the transparency of your ground glass. Honest, that's what I was doing ... Ahem!

Also, fixer without fixer does not fix. I wondered why my film came out of the final wash all milky, then realised that I had measured out the correct volume of water at the correct temperature, but not actually added the fixer. Conclusion: plain water does not fix - another of those controlled experiments ... Ahem! Actually it cleared reasonably well when I did fix it afterwards, and the negatives were printable.

On the other hand, unlike Tim Walls I would never dream of exposing Ilfochrome through the back of the paper. However, I can confirm that various Forte, Foma, Adox, Agfa and Ilford black and white papers all don't look so good in the same circumstances.
    Last edited by Pete H; 05-24-2009 at 06:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I wasn't even thinking of goof ups I've made in printing as those are rarely fatal. Yikes, I'm sure I've done them all. My favorite is when I expose a few sheets in a row, setting each one aside so I can process them one after the other. This I figure will save time and be more efficient, right? Sounds good until I develop the first one and decide that I want to take a good look at it with the light on. That's when I notice the stack of paper sitting there waiting it's turn. This is the kind of efficiency that Ilford must love.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sperera View Post
    the stories are great keep em coming please.....i feel better already!
    I made a trip to Washington DC from my home in the Seattle area to do some sight seeing and picture making. I brought only one camera, my Contax IIa. I wound on a roll of Tri-X and thought I had checked the take-up spool to be sure it had engaged the film sprockets.

I did the whole roll on the Mall and got what I thought were fantastic pictures including one of our new president from a distance. There were pictures of a family member I only see every few years.

At roll changing time (on a trip up to Philadelphia), I discovered that I had not properly wound the film onto the take-up and all of my DC pictures plus the ones I did in Old Philadelphia did not exist as there was no film behind the shutter.

Oh, and the take up spool was old and the sprocket engaging tooth broke off as I was sitting in front of the Liberty bell cursing and trying to get a roll of film actually engaged in the spool.

There I was, 3,000 miles from home and no working camera. I even thought of looking up some APUG member in Phili to borrow a camera for the day. Instead, I wound up buying a Nikon F100 from a camera store in town.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    [NOW i had better shots than on the DSLR.....I was seeing better pictures...
    Yup. The fish that got away.......

I hereby claim the award for the dumbest person in the forum....can anyone top this???? c'mon...make me feel better!
    Here's mine: I was re-using gallon, brown-glass Clorox bottles (anyone remember them!?) to store my fixer. I had just pencilled over the labels a bit, rather than soaking the labels off and properly relabelling the bottles; my darkroom was in the family laundry room.
    I began to empty a fixer tray into a brown-glass Chlorox bottle. "Hmm," I wondered, "Do I have the right bottle'," as I smelled the odd smell.
    So, to compound the stupidity, I stopped pouring, put down the tray, and sniffed the Chlorox bottle: which, you guessed it, was now liberating chlorine gas such as that used in the trenches of WWI.
    I gasped for breath, got out of the room. The last part of this potentially fatal, consumately stupid drama, was not going immediately to the E.R. I had painful breathing for the next several days.
    So, how many dumb acts were combined?[/QUOTE]

I was trying to get rid of some used fix and looking for an empty bottle to pour into. As the wet side of my darkroom is the laundry room, luck provided me with an empty detergent bottle. So far, so good.

The old fix was in the bottle and the bottle was set on the floor. Something disracted me and I walked out of the room without that old fix. My wife came in to do some laundry and grabbed the old fix in the detergent bottle by mistake.

She poured the usual amount of liquid into the washing machine and would have discovered her mistake immediately except she was distracted by me for some inane task.

The fix soaked into the clothes and was eventually washed out. I don't think there was any permanent damage to her expensive work clothes.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin