Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,972   Online: 935

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 510 Pyro

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Todd

Since you a new guy here....after you try the pyrocat, if you still want to try 510, let me know and I'll send you enough to develop a couple tanks of film.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem. Another great thing about APUG, everyone is willing to help anyone looking for information.

Just let me know...

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    I mixed up some 510 a couple of years ago and tried it a couple of times. I found its film speed quite low but always thought I should try it again. I'm curious about your shelf life comment. How long did it last, and was it in glass?
    It lasted about 9 months, but it began to darken significantly at about 6 months. It was in a plastic cough syrup bottle. Jay DeFehr mixed it and sent it to me that way. Of course, each time I used some there was more air admitted to the bottle. Perhaps it would last longer in a glass vessel with the air sucked out of it with a wine bottle vacuum seal. If I used it again that's certainly what I would do.

It's terrific developer, and very convenient, since you only have to dilute one solution. When I ran out of 510, it was just easier to get some pyrocat sent to me than it was to order all the materials and mix my own 510. But I may try it again now that I know there's a commercially available kit for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I began using 510 pyro a couple of years ago, not so much because of any claims of being superior to anything else, but because it introduced me to making a developer from scratch, and because it lends itself to experimentation with my own times, temperatures, agitation, etc rather than simply following a cookbook approach. I think we sometimes get carried away with finding perfection and pitting one developer against another. There is no magic bullet. There are many good formulas out there and I would recommend rather than trying to make detailed comparisons between any developers, find one that works well and play with it in every way you can think of.

510 pyro has its own look which I find very appealing, I think because of a slightly steeper curve in the mid- tones, with perhaps some sacrifice of shadow detail. It has a very long shoulder so highlights do not become blocked. It is very forgiving of missed exposures. It does well with stand and semi stand development. It is easy to mix and does have a long shelf life. For me, it has always run out long before it has lost its usefulness.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A quick one - did you use pyrocat or pyrogallol?
    I have the cat but no gallol. How does the ratio go cat/gallol or does it matter?
    I would love to use the 510 w microfilm at high dilution but hesitate to use the 'wrong' one for the brew.
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    It's terrific developer, and very convenient, since you only have to dilute one solution. When I ran out of 510, it was just easier to get some pyrocat sent to me than it was to order all the materials and mix my own 510. But I may try it again now that I know there's a commercially available kit for it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The reducing agent in 510 is pyrogallol. However, I didn't mix the batch I had. It was sent to me by the developer's inventor, Jay DeFehr.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ah - OK - it was the pyrogallol. Jay uses the cat in Hypercat, but i wondered if one could switch between the 2.
    510 is one of the few pyro devs that actually mentions TechPan (or microfilm) as a target for this developer. I want something for ImagelinkHQ, which is a close relative of TP. I have a supply of pyrocat but not the gallol.
    I have read somewhere what the ratio between the cat/gallol is, but am still confused. Is it 2:3 or 3:4 gallol to pyrocat? Or the samw w/w?
    The molecules are so close. 2-OH to 3-OH radicals. See Wiki.
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    The reducing agent in 510 is pyrogallol. However, I didn't mix the batch I had. It was sent to me by the developer's inventor, Jay DeFehr.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The answer is no, you can not substitute pyrocatechin (catechol) for pyrogallol in 510. The alkaline acceleration in 510 comes from the T.E.A. which gives a working pH of around 9.6, about the same as PMK using sodium metaborate as the accelerator. Pyrocatechin will not kick in until about pH 10.8 or more so if you made the substitution you woulld have a vey low energy developer.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Kelly View Post
    Ah - OK - it was the pyrogallol. Jay uses the cat in Hypercat, but i wondered if one could switch between the 2.
    510 is one of the few pyro devs that actually mentions TechPan (or microfilm) as a target for this developer. I want something for ImagelinkHQ, which is a close relative of TP. I have a supply of pyrocat but not the gallol.
    I have read somewhere what the ratio between the cat/gallol is, but am still confused. Is it 2:3 or 3:4 gallol to pyrocat? Or the samw w/w?
    The molecules are so close. 2-OH to 3-OH radicals. See Wiki.
    Murray
    Last edited by sanking; 05-21-2009 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thankx.
    Muray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think the dark color causes any issues with the 510. The oldest batch I have is quite dark, but still works well. While not as dark, my HC110 is a lot darker than it was when it was new.

Do you guys know if Rodinal or Pyrocat get dark as they age? I know both of these are long keeping too.

Mike
    Last edited by mikebarger; 05-21-2009 at 06:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin