Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 733

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Resensitising film?

Hey, I have a theoretical question in regards to my research towards my final project in film school.

After I have shot some black and white film, and say developed it (but not fixed, and still in dark tank), is there a way to chemically remove the latent image, or to 'reset' the silver to it's original state, so that in theory I can dry the film in the dark and then use it to shoot something?

How about after toning? Or bleaching (but no fixing - ie: converting to silver bromide but no removal of silver from the film)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In theory perhaps but in practice the bleaches needed cause massive speed loss and I think you also lose Panchromatic sensitivity. If it could be done people would use it to rescue fogged papers.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Could it even be done after develop and a stop? I mean you couldn't rinse the film in water and that might act as a mild fix and you would still have chemistry on the film. And if you were to redevelop you could seriously increase negative density. Just seems that way to me.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 05-18-2009 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do know that you can remove the silver halide and leave the latent image behind. BTDT. It is in one of the catalytic imaging patents I co-authored. But, I forget the details.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well what I would like to do theoretically, is to stain/dye/tone the silver a certain colour before shooting an actual image.

I figured it could be done if you were to fog the film, develop and tone, then re-sensitise, side-effects as decreased speed wouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps just trying to stain/dye/tone the film with no fogging/developing would be the way to go, Im not sure how that would work.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-18-2009 at 09:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not just overlay one stained neg with another unstained neg.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why don't you develop the rest of the silver and then bleach it. That way the bleached halide will all have the same characteristics rather than two different ones. You'll lose speed and sensitization AFAIK and be left with a slow blue sensitive emulsion. Have fun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's exactly what Im after for my reseach report.

So if I pull the film out to the light to expose it, so it's completely exposed, completely develop it, tone, then bleach, then dry in the dark and reload, it'll be ready for shooting again at much reduced sensitivity and limited spectral sensitivity (to whatever the toner absorbs)? That's exactly what I'm looking for, for my report.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin