Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,715   Online: 807

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji Acros 120 + 5x4 sheet film question

hi there....apart from T-Max 100 i want to give Acros a go in both 120 and 5x4 format. I was thinking of using Perceptol....I already posted a thred on developing with a Combiplan tank so that parts ongoing as far as advise goes....so, I was thinking if anyone swears by an Acros + developer combination or not.....thing is, for example, to develop 5x4 in my Combiplan i need 1,250ml solution and its only advised to use Perceptol with this film (according to Ilford) at stock solution....as opposed to 1+1 or 1+3.....so I dunno where to turn.....

I need to buy a whole load of film in order to make the shipping worth it so I was thinking of buying a load of Acros as cheaper than T-max.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use fuji across for about 10 years now.
    This film is very fine grained. I do not think it's needed to use a fine grain developer just for getting a smaller grain.
    On 4x5 the grain is no issue.

Roll film
    I develop the roll films in pyrocat-HD 1:1:100. A friend of my uses rodinal 1+50. There is a slight difference in grain noticable when heavy enlarged.

4x5
    I used a coupe of boxes of the acros 4x5. Nice film, but 35 euro for 20 sheets is to much for me. Currently I use ilford FP4+.
    If you have an address which is cheaper, please tell me....

The nice thing of this film is also the lack of reciprocity until 2 minutes. For long times this helps me in the studio for still live shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes I know the 5x4 version is about 38 euros in Spain too......still, I can get really good price on the 120 roll film from Fuji in UK....as Gibraltar is VAT-free zone i get rolls at around £1.45 but then they clobber me on the postage.....

Images
    Acros is my primary film in 120, developed in Rodinal 1+100, 18 min @ 20C. I like the longer developing times because it gives me room for extending my agitation times. Usual agitation is 2-3 gentle inversions every minute. However, towards the end of developing, I'll stretch the agitation times to every 2 or 3 minutes to help tame the highlights in contrasty situations. And here in New Mexico we have a lot of contrasty situations.

I would love to try Acros in 4x5 but right now the cost is too high especially for the easier to find quickloads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've developed 120 Acros shot at 100 in a Paterson System 4 tank a total of 3 times so far, so take this with a grain of salt. The first time was in Rodinal 1:100 for 13 minutes with 3 inversions to start and one gentle inversion every 3 minutes. The negatives were underdeveloped-I should have done 18 minutes (bad memory from reading the massive development chart earlier in the day). The last two times I used Rodinal 1:200 in a semi-stand development for one hour, first time 3 gentle inversions to start and a gentle coffee cup swirl at 30 minutes-ended up with low contrast. Last night 4 regular inversions to start and two more robust swirls at 30 minutes-contrast is higher but maybe slightly too high.

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use whatever you are using for T-Max.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had the best results with all Fujipan films in Rodinal 1:50. Even the Neopan 1600 (when I was shooting 135) enlarges to 16x20 with no issues.

Extremely disappointed with HC-110, and then of course, in 120, grain isn't so important, and as stated above is a non-issue in 4x5.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others have said, there's no real gain in using a fine grain developer like Perceptol (good as it is) with this film, especially with 5x4. Acros is a newer technology emulsion siimilar to Delta or Tmax and I believe its touted as being the sharpest film with fine grain in this speed range you can get ?
    I've used it in 120 and developed in ID11 1:1 and was blown away by the fine grain and sharpness

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin