Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,078   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodinal seems a bit special.....

it seems to me reading countless threads etc that Rodinal holds a special place in many people's hearts even though its got a bit of a rep for high grain.....a good friend of mine, local photographer, a guru old school guy who's tested everything out there loves it and has used it at 1+25 and 1+50 and even 1+100 mixes......says its really really economical and his fave all time developer.....and it seems to me so many more people out there agree.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup.

Wait until you try Rodinal Special, or Studional. Same great Rodinal results but with faster dev time and finer grain.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Yup.

Wait until you try Rodinal Special, or Studional. Same great Rodinal results but with faster dev time and finer grain.
    are these new improved versions????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used correctly you can get exceptionally good fine grained negatives with Rodinal particularly with APX100 or Tmax100. Personally I've never seen anyone getting high grain unless they use it with inappropriate films like APX400, Tri-X, HP5 etc.

I used Rodinal for nearly 20 years with 35mm through to 5x4 and grain has never been an issue, it's something I dislike and avoide in my landscape work. I switched to Pyrocat HD for other reasons.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal Special/Studional has nothing in common with Rodinal it's a very different developer.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just started using Rodinal. I dont develop a lot of film, so finding something with good shelf life was a priority (I guess HC-110 would fit the bill, too). I think 35mm HP5+ in Rodinal 1:50 looks great despite claims to the contrary (I havent made the leap to medium format yet). There is grain, but it's not obtrusive, at least I dont think it is. The few pictures I've printed so far are sharp and crisp, but the minute little details like small wrinkles around the eyes, little skin bumps, and the like arent there. Of course using medium or large format would give more detail and less grain, but I'm quite happy with 35mm HP5+ in Rodinal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Personally I've never seen anyone getting high grain unless they use it with inappropriate films like APX400, Tri-X, HP5 etc.

Ian
    I dont think APX400, Tri-X, HP5 are "inapropritate" with Rodinal, just not what one would use if fine grain is desired. Wether or not it looks "good" or "bad" is subjective. I like it and you dont, which is cool. So goes the subjectivity of art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I diifer somewhat with Ian. I have some very nice negs with Rodinal and those "inappropriate" films. It depends on what you like. If you like the economy of Rodinal, the ease of mixing a one-shot dev, great tonality and don't mind some grain, by all means use it. If grain is an issue, don't use it. I have a stunning (IMHO) 16x20 at a wedding taken with MF TX and souped in Rodinal. Tones are great and it's just showing some grain. Yes, I dould have done it in PPD, Edwal FG-7 with sulfite, but I thought that Rodinal would look nice on this one.

I often go to the Church of Rodinal, but not every Sunday! I feel it really shines with some films; slow 35mm and most MF films, all LF, but I don't think I'd use it to dev Recording Film (no longer made, but you get the point).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I diifer somewhat with Ian. I have some very nice negs with Rodinal and those "inappropriate" films. It depends on what you like. If you like the economy of Rodinal, the ease of mixing a one-shot dev, great tonality and don't mind some grain, by all means use it. If grain is an issue, don't use it. I have a stunning (IMHO) 16x20 at a wedding taken with MF TX and souped in Rodinal. Tones are great and it's just showing some grain. Yes, I dould have done it in PPD, Edwal FG-7 with sulfite, but I thought that Rodinal would look nice on this one.

I often go to the Church of Rodinal, but not every Sunday! I feel it really shines with some films; slow 35mm and most MF films, all LF, but I don't think I'd use it to dev Recording Film (no longer made, but you get the point).
    Im feeling you brother......Im in film/developer combo purgatory at the moment.....I have TMax 100 with Tmax developer but i think its expensive for what it is.....I just bought Ilford Perceptol and havent used it yet so am thinking Fuji Acros and Tmax with it....but then Rodinal is calling for my soul.....
    Last edited by sperera; 05-19-2009 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Rodinal to dev HP5+ shot at 3200. Still got great results. The 'grain' thing seems to be largely myth. I've dunked all sorts of film in Rodinal, never had a problem with grain.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin