Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,957   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Positive Paper... The Poor Man's Polaroid?

Well, On the magical kingdom of Freestyle I saw the direct positive paper, and it got me to thinking... Has anyone here used this stuff before? Is it ok use an Amber Safelight?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't see how it could be considered a poor man's polaroid, unless your camera can develop it internally or something. If direct positive paper is a polaroid, then so is slide film.

I do, however, like the idea of images that originate as in-camera originals without intermediates. I remember reading a website about an ULF photographer who shot in-camera Cibachrome positives. I always thought this was very interesting, and wondered if the positive paper could be used in a similar way for black-and-white.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think it is a brilliant idea for my situation. My darkroom nearly always has paper developer mixed up and I shoot a lot of still life in 8x10 or 4x5. Thanks for the idea... assuming the positive paper is cheaper than film. I going to check it out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like the idea for ULF and maybe 8x10 inch, for 4x5" it would be too small.
    Ciba's shot at 11x14 inch or bigger can be soooooooo beautifull.........

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...ive-paper.html

it is only available in 4x5 ...

it is pretty "contrasty" so it is probably pretty good
    with flat light/ low light and using oxidized developer ( spent developer )
    to tame it ...

have fun!
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually it looks like it is currently stocked in 8x10,5x7 and 16x20 at least. Do a search for positive paper on Freestyle's site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used some, it is very contrasty. Not completely safe in OD, as more susceptible that my normal paper to fogging. Have used to make paper negs of negs for making silhouettes. I have wanted to try in camera, but have yet to try. And yes 8x10 is available, or was when I bought.

TR
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used this stuff quite a bit and I really like it. It can indeed be very VERY constrasty but I find if you do a bit of a pre-flash before exposure and if you develope in highly diluted chemistry you can get some great results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    the paper requires a red safe light as indicated in the instructions. Yes, like most papers is contrasty. The way to tame it is to use a film developer at high dilution. try D 76 1+3 to 1+5, or HC 110 diluted 1+ 11 from syrup. D23, with minimal agitation will also work. Remember, this can be developed under a red safe light so you can watch it and stop development when necessary. I did a whole weekend workshop with a class of 20 using nothing but this paper.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used it, as well.

I employed Dektol 1:6 as per an earlier thread on the topic...did a lot of experimenting but that ended up working the best for me. Even then it was almost totally black or white. The notion of using diluted film developer is interesting but I can't speak to that or its results.

Some very interesting images from it, nonetheless. I loaded it into my 4x5 holders and shot with my Shen Hao. It worked well, but keep in mind it's about EI 6. I also had to trim the paper slightly to get it to fit into the Fidelity holders...I have a few examples in my photos here if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin