Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,665   Online: 925

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You are supposed to make a stock solution from the syrup. From this stock solution you dilute it further to get dilution b, etc. I have heard of others taking a measured amount of the syrup and diluting with water. I've never tried this.

When i was using HC-110 i mixed 1+31 from the syrup = Dul B

I always worked from the stock solution when I used HC-110. I'd mix the concentrate with distilled water and put the stock solution into a couple of plastic quart bottles. It started to turn a little brown toward the end, but it lost none of its potency. I'd mix the last couple ounces with my next new batch to "season" it a little. Great all-purpose developer.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a copy of Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook" and Anchell & Troops', "Film Developing Cookbook". You 'll find lots of recipes in there that you can homebrew yourself and you can make devs at 1 liter batches at a very low cost. If you save up a few rolls and do them all at once, you can easily go thru the dev you've mixed. Or, if you end up tossing it, you're not out a whole lot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I add 15cc to 465 mL of water for direct use. I also regulate the water I mi with to ensure it is at 68F so it is ready once I mix it, the stop and the fix.

As mentioned above, if you're happy, don't feel the need to use another. There's nothing wrong with having 'your' developer. Of course, if you want to experiment then by all means...
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    You could try Ilford DDX (1:4 dilution) Consult the Massive Developing Chart for times/films. WWW.Digital Truth.com

Dan Gordon
    Calgary, Canada
    DDX looks interesting from it's technical data, since they say it'll last 24 months in a full bottle. I've already got a bunch of marbles to keep my paper dev in good shape, so throwing a few in the bottle after i'm done won't be a problem, plus it's only a liter of concentrate which shouldn't last too absurdly long at my rate.

Is DDX similar to the XTOL mentioned earlier, just liquid from Ilford instead of powder from Kodak, or is it substantially different? I've never used either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Get a copy of Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook" and Anchell & Troops', "Film Developing Cookbook". You 'll find lots of recipes in there that you can homebrew yourself and you can make devs at 1 liter batches at a very low cost. If you save up a few rolls and do them all at once, you can easily go thru the dev you've mixed. Or, if you end up tossing it, you're not out a whole lot.
    That sounds like a lot of work to go through for the low volume of stuff i do, just as an exparament. It would be neat though.

Also: Save a few rolls up? By the time i'm to the 28th exposure i'm taking pictures of my feet just so i can finally have some fun in the darkroom!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My only suggested alternative would be Ilfotec HC. Other than that, you can't beat HC-110 IMO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mix from the syrup. I don't use it fast enough otherwise, and I'd be dumping half the stock solution out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Continue to use HC-110. Consistency is key to producing negatives that print well on your chosen paper(s).
    Processing your film so you know the outcome really is a great start to consistently produce great prints.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=c.w.;801416

That sounds like a lot of work to go through for the low volume of stuff i do, just as an exparament. It would be neat though...

Also: Save a few rolls up? By the time i'm to the 28th exposure i'm taking pictures of my feet just so i can finally have some fun in the darkroom![/QUOTE]

It can be, but doesn't have to be. Take D-23: 7.5 g of metol, 100 g of sulfite to 1 liter of water. That's it! You can use it straight-up or dilute up to 1+3. The teaspoon method of 2.5 tsp of metol and 12.5 tsp of sulfite also works if you don't want/need a scale to weigh chems. Your liter will last 6 months in a full bottle.

The books make good reading as well. See if your library has them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To prevent waste, I mix the stock solution 8 oz. at a time. Often I will mix two 8 oz. bottles worth at once if I will be doing many sheets/rolls. I don't trust being able to measure such small quantities of syrup exactly consistently each batch, even with a syringe.

I have used 6 month old stock solution from a half full 16 oz. Kodak plastic bottle (the kind that the syrup comes in), and it worked exactly as would be expected from freshly mixed stock. I was amazed! I had some "junk" rolls to develop (very old and I had no idea what was on them; only knew that they were marked "N"), and was just curious. I added one grade to the development, but it was totally unnecessary, as my contrast was too high in the end.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin