Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,304   Online: 808

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Out of HC110 - What else to try?

So, the other night i noticed i'm getting pretty low on HC110. I've been using it exclusively since i started, since it lasts a long time and is pretty standard as far as developers go. So far i'm pretty happy with the results, using Dil. B one shot and whatever time is indicated on the box save for when i push.

My question is, what other developers should i try, if any? I only shoot about a roll every two weeks, so longetivity is a must. It would be nice to have something especially well suited to pushing, since they don't make Neopan 1600 in 120 and i'm really not in love with Ilford 3200.

Oh, and before you say it, i already plan to get a little bottle of Rodinol type developer for some low speed film i've got just to try it.

Xtol. Use stock or 1+1. Stock solution lasts longer than HC-110's stock solution from my experience. But I have to ask...if you are happy with HC-110, why try something else?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You could try Ilford,s equivalent of HC-110..... Ilfotec HC. By all accounts it behaves the same and is interchangeable in usage.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...ilm+Developers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone actually use a stock solution with HC-110? I always assumed everyone mixed straight from the syrup.

Anyway, I had some of the same questions, plus an affection for DIY techniques and low-toxicity developing agents, so I ended up buying the chemicals to mix a batch of PC-TEA. I'd been getting fine results with HC-110, but had settled on it more or less by accident and was curious how much difference I'd see. I ended up liking the results and switching for most uses.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

You are supposed to make a stock solution from the syrup. From this stock solution you dilute it further to get dilution b, etc. I have heard of others taking a measured amount of the syrup and diluting with water. I've never tried this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, your the first I read that actually uses the stock solution. Like Nathan, I when I use HC110 I use a child syringe to draw the required cc's and mix direct.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Xtol. Use stock or 1+1. Stock solution lasts longer than HC-110's stock solution from my experience. But I have to ask...if you are happy with HC-110, why try something else?
    Can't you only get Xtol in 5 liter packets? It would take me a year or more to get through 5 liters if i used it exclusively, which is longer than i've read it lasts. Although, i haven't read up a whole lot on anything.

I want to try something else because... i haven't ever tried something else. I'm just curious what all is out there. The only real reason i picked HC110 is because i had used it a few times before, and the concentrate lasts a long time (i've never made the stock solution BTW).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You are supposed to make a stock solution from the syrup. From this stock solution you dilute it further to get dilution b, etc. I have heard of others taking a measured amount of the syrup and diluting with water. I've never tried this.
    On the Kodak data sheets it gives dilution information for making working solutions directly from the syrup if you want to. I do this, as I mix up 3.5 gallons at a time of working dilution.

The bottle is not big enough to contain all this information on the label. You can go to the Kodak website and find the "complete" data sheet for HC-110 as well as other Kodak developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try Ilford DDX (1:4 dilution) Consult the Massive Developing Chart for times/films. WWW.Digital Truth.com

Dan Gordon
    Calgary, Canada

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most Fine Art photographers gravitate towards one film and one developer and become extremely skilled at extracting everything they can from the combination. It is a fact that as you learn your film and developer you get better negatives that are easier to print (for you). In his later years Brett Weston used HC-110b exclusively for his film negatives, and I certainly have never heard anyone complaining about his negative quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin