Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,182   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I don't know for sure but I guess the type 55 pods contained just the right amount of chemistry to react to completion and no further.

Anywhere there has been extensive discussion of single-pot development here.
    The volume of chemistry isn't so critical with monobath development, as long as there is the necessary minimum. The fixer acts as a timer to stop the development, so overdevelopment tends not to be a problem, but if you leave the neg in the solution too long, you could get other undesirable effects, like dissolved silver plating out on the neg.

As to the original post--Developing in a specially designed holder for the purpose, without felt light traps and with ribs or something to allow solutions to flow behind the film? Sounds messy, like developing 35mm in the cartridge. Yeah, you could do it, but it seems, unless the situation is really desperate for some reason, it would cause more problems than it solves.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I had a student do this once with one of our 4x5 holders. It totally messed up the felt in the light trap.

Vaughn
    Was this an intentional experiment, or the result of some terrible misunderstanding?
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Cleanliness.

Unless you can get 100% of the chemistry off the film holders, and return the film holders to perfectly clean and dry condition, you risk having crud (mostly in the form of dust) fall off your holders onto your film to obscure light at exposure time. This, to me, would be a nightmare (I do so love to spend hours and hours spotting)....
    And the spots would be black on the print. Those are extra special really great fun ones to spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I don't know for sure but I guess the type 55 pods contained just the right amount of chemistry to react to completion and no further....
    It was possible to extend the development to get a bit more contrast, but it was very limited.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some good points here I think. It seems that I would have to dry the holder before it's removed, otherwise I might get crud in it. The other option would be to simply put the wet holder in a zip lock and dry it at home (or base). I don't know how would I clear the antihalation layer, that's something I didn't think about. I'm sure I can figure out the agitation.

The reason I would do this is because I'm interested in shootings things that move (dancers). While I am reasonably confident in the exposure, getting the right image without seeing the result is a crap shoot. I was planning on using a 4x5 D SLR.

Maybe I'll sacrifice a holder to run a test.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not shoot fuji fp100b or 400b in 4x5 format.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sv@diycamerakit.com View Post

Maybe I'll sacrifice a holder to run a test.

I think you will just wind up ruining the holder. How do you think the velvet of the light baffle will hold up to developing chemicals?

My suggestion would be to buy a small print drum, say an 8X10 Unicolor or Beseler and a motor base. Put the film in the drum in a changing tent, and everything else you can do in daylight with small amounts of chemicals.

Sandy King

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe 55 was really great for checking exposure but I don't know why anyone wouldn't just use the other films for that if nonpolaroid was the end art
    anyway
    why see the neg in the field? Seems too much of a contraption to deal with ..like tintypes or whatever
    Just bracket? Seems easier, quicker, probably close enough to equal in cost and bound to get one exposure perfect with the other not too far off so you'd have an ok backup just in case the other has issues ..not sure you'd ever get many negatives in the field that you wouldn't mind using for final art

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Was this an intentional experiment, or the result of some terrible misunderstanding?
    Students certainly do keep one on one's toes. Obviously, he thought it was quite logical to expose and to develop in the same holder...just like the OP!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I said in the prior post, the reason for this is not to check exposure. Is to see if I got the shot (of people moving). I might have to use the fuji instant, but a) right now it's very expensive and I predict I will need a lot of tries to get the shot I need and b) it's a relative low detail positive print, I would like to have the amount of detail correspondent to a 4x5 film not to mention the option to use the film I want.

I assumed the felt light traps will have to be replaced (with some liquid resistant material).
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin