Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,217   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Looks like 2 Gallons of HC110 run about $16 at Henry's, not sure if it's a 2 gallon bottle or whether that's the stock solution, I would need to get something to measure the small amounts needed, then just suck out the syrup on an as needed basis. If it's 2 gallons of concentrate it would probably take 20 years to use it all.
    It's concentrate to make 2 gallons.

See http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ for more info and lots of suggestions.

Lee

Images
    I like FP4+ and HP5+ with HC-110, and it is super convenient.

For Delta 100 and 400, I like Xtol.

I like to keep it simple, but find it worthwhile to my eye to keep both of these developers on hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    D23
    From what I understand D23 is a mix it yourself developer, I don't have the equipment to mix it myself, besides I would rather spend my photography time shooting then playing chemist.

So I limited the list to developers I can buy premixed at the Henry's down the street.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    It's concentrate to make 2 gallons.

See http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ for more info and lots of suggestions.

Lee
    Thanks, I bookmarked that page for later perusal. Since it's the same price as Rodinal and goes about twice as far, HC110 should be the cheapest solution (pun intended). Not sure why Ilfotech HC is over 3 times the price......
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have heard the same thing
    Yup. D23 does it all. Used straight with DK25R replenishment to do ca. 20 rolls of 120 per liter. 1:1 for increased "sharpness." 1:3 for contrast taming. Straight as Bath A in a divided developer. Use the DK25R replenisher as Solution A for a Beutler-like acutance developer. Add sodium carbonate solution and potassium bromide to make a soft-working paper developer similar to Ansco 120. And cheap. What's not to like?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    What's not to like is that it's hard enough to find metol and sodium sulfite that the developer is effectively a specialty developer not suitable to (my) everyday use, wheras I can buy D76 locally. I know you can buy the ingredients from the Formulary, but at Freestyle prices it works out to over $10/gallon, plus shipping.

I guess with replenishment, that might not be that bad, since I pay $7 a gallon for D76 which I dump down the drain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure why Ilfotech HC is over 3 times the price......
    Shipping liquids (heavier and bulkier than powdered) overseas for starters.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I understand D23 is a mix it yourself developer, I don't have the equipment to mix it myself, besides I would rather spend my photography time shooting then playing chemist.

So I limited the list to developers I can buy premixed at the Henry's down the street.
    Yes, D-23 is a mix yourself, or, buy it from the Formulary. If you mix yourself it only takes 2.5 teaspoons of metol, 12.5 tsp of sulfite and H2O make 1 liter. You can use it stock, 1+1, or 1+3. Very easy!

If you'd rather buy a premix, there are lots out there. D-76 is the standard. It's been around so long, is readily available and times for all/most films can be found.

Powder chems are cheap to buy and cheap to ship. True, it takes a bit more time to mix the powder and you do have to address the issure of airborne powder. Lots of folks like X-tol, Microdol-X/Perceptol, and Ilford's ID-11 is the equal to D-76.

Liquid devs are more expensive, more expensive to ship, but are easier to mix and no airborne dust. HC-110 is long lasting and has a cool smell! Some folks use Rodinal for all their films, others do not. FG-7 is underated. DDX & Ilfosol are others.

Use what is economical and easy obtainable for you, and mostly, use use what gives you good images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Consider Ilford ID11 which is similar to D76. I use it 1:1 with Delta 400 and HP5 as well as Delta100. (120 and 4x5 films) It is sold as a powder approximately $10US to make 5liters of stock solution, when used at 1:1 makes 10liters. It can also be used undiluted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At your usage (not that different from mine), HC110, Rodinal and Pyrocat in glycol are all good options. If you are looking for something general purpose (reasonable grain, sharpness) HC110 is a good choice. If you like grain or are using a larger format, Rodinal is great. I usually use rodinal.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin