Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,695   Online: 885

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D-76 or HC-110. I would recommend D-76, but storage life is pretty short. HC-110 is another good all-aroud developer, with a much longer shelf life. Rodinal has the longest life of them all, but it also has a distinct "look" that prevents it (IMHO) from being an all-around developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Consider Ilford ID11 which is similar to D76. I use it 1:1 with Delta 400 and HP5 as well as Delta100. (120 and 4x5 films) It is sold as a powder approximately $10US to make 5liters of stock solution, when used at 1:1 makes 10liters. It can also be used undiluted.
    At a roll a month, and 400ml per tank , 10L of solution would take 25 months to use up, it only lasts about 3-6 months in full bottles, so you end up throwing most of it away. I need a developer that is available in smaller quantities and/or lasts a long time.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Well then it sounds like the obvious choice for you would be HC110, since it is immortal, versatile (so I hear) and last I calculated, it was the cheapest of all non-replenished developers.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Well then it sounds like the obvious choice for you would be HC110, since it is immortal, versatile (so I hear) and last I calculated, it was the cheapest of all non-replenished developers.
    Not only that, it can be replenished!! And Bill Pierce used HC110 Replenisher to push-process Tri-X.

My experience, however, with replenishing HC110 is far less successful than my favorite soup, D23 replenished with DK25-R. It does not last as long. When all is said and done, HC110 is very economical and very easy to use; especially with one of those 10 ml 'baby dose" syringes. Other comments; the concentrate seems to be less goopy than in ye olden dayz; the color is different; and the new stuff smells a lot better than the old-style concentrate which smelled like a high school locker room full of dirty sneakers.
    If I were to go back to HC110, it would be at the 1:49 dilution from concentrate.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    At a roll a month, and 400ml per tank , 10L of solution would take 25 months to use up, it only lasts about 3-6 months in full bottles, so you end up throwing most of it away. I need a developer that is available in smaller quantities and/or lasts a long time.
    With such low usage (similar to mine, actually), I would suggest looking into 1 liter powders such as Perceptol or D76. I personally prefer Perceptol 1:1. It will easily give you up to 4 films per month. It's more expensive per liter, but you end up using it all fresh, so there's no waste. You will get very consistent results with fresh developer used one-shot. If you need to process more film, you can look into the 5 gallon /5 liter options of those same developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For low volume, casual home processing, I have to say I still think D76 is the best, due to reusability and long shelf life (I have a bottle of stock I've been using for 2 years unreplenished)
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A good possibility is Arista Premium liquid from Freestyle. Its actually Clayton F76+, which ain't bad, but at the price, you can't help but love it. Use that stuff for your everyday work and when you need something special you can shoot for the moon and get Tanol or something
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Looks like 2 Gallons of HC110 run about $16 at Henry's, not sure if it's a 2 gallon bottle or whether that's the stock solution, I would need to get something to measure the small amounts needed, then just suck out the syrup on an as needed basis. If it's 2 gallons of concentrate it would probably take 20 years to use it all.
    That would be 2 gallons of stock.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tend to stick to liquid developers as that's just easier for me and I don't generally like mixing up powder developers.

Of the liquid developers I've tried, I really like the results from Ilford DD-X but it works out extremely expensive, so these days I primarily use Paterson's Aculux-3 as my general developer. I also use Rodinal and Diafine occasionally.

In the past I've used HC-110, Adox ADX and others with generally good results. Adox ADX is very good with slow to medium speed films and really economical, but not so good with fast films where the standard developing instructions tend involve developing at slower than box speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For anything under 4x5, of the three you've limited your choices to, I'd use HC110. Rodinal, for me, is just too grainy for small formats. This is a personal choice, I know many people love Rodinal in 35mm.

Mike

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin