Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,872   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Which developer is best for all around use?

I know that question leaves a lot of answers, so let me qualify it.

After a couple of years of being lost in the digital wilderness, I am slowly returning to low volumes of film shooting. Generally the idea is to use film for B&W work and use the digital for colour work. I have a few rolls of FP4 in the freezer, probably will not shoot more then a roll or two a month.

I can easily get Rodinal, Ilfotec HC and Kodak HC110.

Which of these is best for all round general use, other possible films would be PanF, HP5, Delta (100/400) or TMax (100/400). All are used in 35mm at this time. If you recommend a developer but know a film it should NOT be used with, then please let me know.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I love HC110 with my TMY but I know it can react fast with some films at Dil 'B' so check it out before you get. I'm not familiar with times required for Ilford films. It could drift dangerously close to five minutes, making the action harder to control.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been using Rodinal 1:50 with 35mm HP5+ for the last few months. I started using that combo in like October, and I just used up a 125ml bottle a couple of weeks ago (and I have more on the way).

I know some people will say 35mm HP5+ and Rodinal is a no-no, but I quite like it. The grain is visible at 8x10, but I think it looks quite nice. I havent developed anything else in Rodinal yet, but I wouldnt hesitate to try it with other films. I'd have to say at this point in time, Rodinal will be my developer of choice until I find something I like better.

I've read that rodinal lasts forever, so you wont have to worry about it going bad, even if you do just a few rolls a month.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I love HC110 with my TMY but I know it can react fast with some films at Dil 'B' so check it out before you get. I'm not familiar with times required for Ilford films. It could drift dangerously close to five minutes, making the action harder to control.
    I guess you could use at a weaker dilution....
    Paul Schmidt

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

... Like 1:49 or so. Just alerting him to the quickness of HC110 at the standard (?) Dilution. And I suppose, also its versatility.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    D23
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If HC-110 is easily available, that'd be your best all-around bet. Dilute it to one-half the concentration of Dilution B and develop for double the time if the indicated times for Dilution B are too short.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides the developers you mentioned, I'd like to also suggest D-76 (1:1) or Xtol. Any of these can be your "go to developer" for just about anything you shoot, and look great with FP4+.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    If HC-110 is easily available, that'd be your best all-around bet. Dilute it to one-half the concentration of Dilution B and develop for double the time if the indicated times for Dilution B are too short.
    Looks like 2 Gallons of HC110 run about $16 at Henry's, not sure if it's a 2 gallon bottle or whether that's the stock solution, I would need to get something to measure the small amounts needed, then just suck out the syrup on an as needed basis. If it's 2 gallons of concentrate it would probably take 20 years to use it all.
    Paul Schmidt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    D23
    i have heard the same thing

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin