Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,540   Posts: 1,598,898   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

XTOL minimum volume for replenishment

Okay, I've got a Nikor tank that will do 12 sheets of 4x5 and a Nikor tank that will do 4 rolls of 135 but I want to be able to process before the tanks would be technically "full" of film. If I shoot 2-sheets of 4x5 and 1 roll of 135 this week, and 4-4x5s and 2-135s next, I don't really want to wait 4-weeks to develope one shot.

I've been thinking about how to do this well and replenishment seems a natural here but my volumes aren't huge so I'm wondering how small a replinished storage tank I can get away with.

What size and why?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Xtol in 5 litre packs and split it into 2.5 litre working solution & the other half as replenisher which I stored in smaller containers. This worked extremely well for me for quite a few years, it's much simpler than other replenishishable developers as it doesn't have a special replenisher/

2.5 litres was plenty for my Jobo 2000 series tanks which needed 2 litres per 12 sheets of 5x4.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would fill the tank with developer. If just developing one or two rolls in a Nikor 4 roll tank I would place empty reels on top of the loaded reel or reels. After you develop pour the developer back into the bottle. Figure the replenishment, pour out some developer from your bottle, pour in the fresh, and top up with old.

Xtol is replenished with fresh developer at 70ml per 8x10 sheet. An 8x10 sheet has about the same area as a 35mm 36 exposure roll, or 4-4x5 sheets.

If you keep replenishing, you should be good for a long time. I would advise keeping a gallon bottle of ready-to-use developer and working from that, and replenishing back into the gallon bottle. Replenish after each processing run.

As long as you have a quart or more of ready-to-use developer I don't think you need worry about having "enough" to keep replenishing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the capacity of your tank?

I am currently using Xtol replenished. I mix up the entire 5 liter kit and keep 2 liters as my working solution (my largest tank takes 1.5 liters of liquid).

Kodak recommends 70ml per 35mm roll (or equivalent area - in your case four 4x5 negs) - but that you may need to adjust the amount based on how you shoot and process to keep your process calibrated. It could be less and it could be more. I replenish with 70ml per roll until I see a change and then adjust.

The farther into the kit I'm getting the better the developer gets. It seems like the byproducts of running the film through is good for the process.

I don't think it matters whether you keep a gallon or two liters of working solution. The amount of replenisher is the same per roll either way. If you don't use the working solution in a long time, replenish it anyway as that will keep it active.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak recommends replenishment rates of 70ml per 80 square inches of film developed. Make the 5 liters. Store 4 liters for replenishment and use 1 liter (or more if you need it) for processing. You'll likely need to season the 1 liter with three or four rolls of film, or shorten times for the first several rolls.

Once your liter of working solution is seasoned, after each use drain off 70ml for each 80 square inches of film processed and replace it with fresh Xtol. Keep doing that.

80 square inches is a roll of 35mm, 4 sheets of 4x5, one sheet 8x10, etc.

See Kodak Tech Bulletin J-109 on Xtol for details.

Lee

Wow! 3 other answers while I was typing and looking things up. Gotta work on my typing speed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

Wow! 3 other answers while I was typing and looking things up. Gotta work on my typing speed.
    Since I use Xtol as my primary developer, I didn't look up anything. Typed from memory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Since I use Xtol as my primary developer, I didn't look up anything. Typed from memory.
    Same here, I've only recently stopped using it, this is the first time I've not used Xtol while back visiting the UK.

It's an excellent developer which had an unwarranted bad reputation due to an early packaging problem many years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ian, Phototone, Lee, Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

My tank for the 4x5s holds about 1.2 liters the 4-reel 135 tank holds about 950ml or so.

So now that I have a feel for your experience here I'm going to get busy drinking. Got pre-mixed Margaritas in 1.75 liter bottles I need to empty.

I knew about the 70ml from the tech sheet but didn't know if there was some low threshold where replenishment stopped working well, or above which it worked better.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How long have you kept a replenished tank going? Does anyone use replenishment with a Jobo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I've kept replenishment going for about a year, possibly slightly longer in a good bottle kept full. I use Jobo tanks but the old 2000 series are Iinversion not rotary, you run a higher risk of oxidation in a rotary tank.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin