Interesting that you raise this question at this time. I've just developed my first-of-seven-rolls of Verichrome Pan in 127 size, dated 1966. I decided to try Edwal 10 (metol/glycin) as a stand developer for 35 minutes, one agitation at the 15 minute mark. To reduce activity somewhat, I started the developer at 64 degrees F. I exposed the ASA 125 film at ASA 80, shot in a Yashica 44. Oh, I also added 2 ml of 1% solution of benzotriazole to reduce the fog. Results: the film has significant base fog, perhaps exaggerated by the stand development, but I can scan through the base fog to get usable photos. VP has an interesting look. I'm going to do my second roll in a proprietary MQ developer, short dev time to see if that reduces fog levels.
I have found that Metol is the main culprit in fogging old film. Some of my best results have been with Xtol