Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,666   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't see why on earth you need to do all those changes of developer, seems rather long winded and much more prone to problems. I've processed 5"x4" Technical pan in a Jobo tank at 1+200 and it's far easier, my tanks are pre-Rotary Jobo 2000 series but there's no reason you can't use yours the same way, upright with the full volume of developer covering the film, in my case that's a litre of developer per reel (6 sheets of 5x4).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same developers, HC110 and 510 pyro, for all my film. I generally use a semi stand for 120 Tri-x 400 and rotary processing for 4x5 HP-5.

The only difference is I've tested for the correct development time for each process to place zone VIII on the negative as a zone VIII on the print.

I'm not sure why you'd need a different developer for each type of processing, at least not for 510 pyro and HC110.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Can't see why on earth you need to do all those changes of developer,
    No one NEEDS to do 1:100, but thats the way I do it. Since the tank is on a lift, the number of fluid changes is pretty irrelevant.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-27-2009 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem I've had with Rodinal in rotary processing is that I get negatives that are over-developed with very high contrast, even at short developing times. It is a very powerful developer that rewards changes in agitation, and I suspect that with the extremely vigorous agitation that rotary processing gives, you'd have to exhaust the Rodinal in order to give any control.
    I could be wrong, but I tried many dilutions, couldn't get it to work. So I tried Pyrocat and HC-110. Much better.
    Anyway, I don't do rotary development anymore as I gave up sheets, and the results I get with rolls in stainless steel daylight tanks and manual agitation are much more to my liking. Plus the control I get with agitation makes it a more useful tool for the way I shoot.

Thanks to ic-racer for posting those items.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I use the same developers, HC110 and 510 pyro, for all my film. I generally use a semi stand for 120 Tri-x 400 and rotary processing for 4x5 HP-5.

The only difference is I've tested for the correct development time for each process to place zone VIII on the negative as a zone VIII on the print.

I'm not sure why you'd need a different developer for each type of processing, at least not for 510 pyro and HC110.

Mike
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The problem I've had with Rodinal in rotary processing is that I get negatives that are over-developed with very high contrast,
    Just to let you know, I also tried cooling to 15C to get longer times with less-concentrated Rodinal. It works, but with a 22C room temp and 17C tap water, I had to use 6 bottles of slush in the Jobo. The slush bottles needed to be re-filled about every 5 minutes and it took about 20 minutes to cool all the way down. I wound up using all the ice from our kitchen ice-maker just to get down to 15C.

Also, in the mulit-change paradigme (at 24C) there is more going on than just diluting the developer. Due to the filling/emptying time, a 7 min run is really 3 minutes of film-developer contact. So, much of the time the film is wet with developer but not submerged. I was setting up some experiments to extend the no-contact phase to see what would happen, but have not done it yet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Are there any developers that can provide relatively low contrast in a rotary processor?

Also, how about developers that can to this at a temperature 75 F?

Thanks.
    I use a Jobo at 75F and with Acros and XTOL 1:1 I can get a CI that's less than 0.40 without excessively short times.

What CI are you looking for and with which film?

Thomas - what dilution were you using for Rodinal, how many sheets in the drum, and what volume of developer?

I use 1L of developer pretty much all the time and I've yet to burn a motor out. And always pick the lift up with the end of the support bars, not the handle alone...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Interesting about the 1L of developer Kirk....I assume you are using the expert tanks, and not one of the 2000 series tanks...how many sheets would you estimate you have developed in the Jobo expert tanks without any problems using the 1 L of developer ....many of us have been warned to use only about 500 cc even though we "help" the lift with our hands...the issue might not be the lift, but the motor turning the heavier tank.

I am learning much from this thread. Is Kodak Tech Pan still available? I thought not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a Jobo 3010 Expert drum.

I'm not sure about the total number of sheets, but I've "standardized" on 1L for about 15 years expect for a short period when I was using PMK and I tried using 1500 ml, but there was noticable drag on the motor then. So I went back to 1000 ml (and I've added a nitrogen bath to eliminate arial oxidation of pyro developers) and I use a speed setting of "4". But I guess it's in excess of 300 batches/runs, and I try to have 10 sheets in the drum so that I can keep the sq. inches of film to volume of developer constant.

Make sure you have the water level high to help "float" the drum, but not too high that it lifts off the rollers.

I've heard the warnings too, but my Jobo doesn't seem to mind. Jobo says the maximum capacity of the drum is 1000 ml.
    http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...pert_drums.htm

Kirk
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kirk,

500ml (that's all I can get in there before it starts to leak back out), Rodinal 1+100 or 1+200 at 70*F.
    Two 5x7 or four 4x5 sheets at a time or less.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I use a Jobo at 75F and with Acros and XTOL 1:1 I can get a CI that's less than 0.40 without excessively short times.

What CI are you looking for and with which film?

Thomas - what dilution were you using for Rodinal, how many sheets in the drum, and what volume of developer?

I use 1L of developer pretty much all the time and I've yet to burn a motor out. And always pick the lift up with the end of the support bars, not the handle alone...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin